Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Absolutely Anxious about Lakenheath!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Absolutely Anxious about Lakenheath!

Advertisements
    So! We received assignment to RAF Lakenheath back in September (09) and have pretty much dragged our feet (well not really because we were told we could not start out process until we were 90 days out and our date is April 30) and now we are down to our last few weeks and I am absolutely anxious and can barely sleep at night, Heres why: #1 In Oct 08 I was diagnosed with ADHD by my psychiatrist and was on Adderall XR for about 4-6 months and got pregnant so I immediately got off and now have not taken them for a year in March. Although my physiciatrist filled out my EFMP paperwork stating that I have been off the meds and does not need them unless I decided to start them up again, I keep having a feeling that this may cause a problem for us. I have heard so many horror stories of dependants being denied due to medical reasons, especially ones related to mental health. Any one have any input on this? Also, #2 We would like to take leave for at LEAST 2 weeks but we have to wait on my med clearance and still have to turn that in to get our hard copy orders which I hear could take a couple weeks ???
    Im starting to feel like im rambling so ill just end my rant there but basically im just looking for someone who has had a similar experience lately with Orders to Lakenheath to be specific and can maybe calm me down so I can get a good nights rest sometime soon lol. Any advice would help. Thanks so much.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Have you already gotten your no-fee passport and visa?
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Well we have applied for the No-Fee and are currently waiting for that to come back. Its been gone now for almost a month if not more so hopefully we should get it back by mid-March. Thankfully I hear the visas dont take so long. Im mostly worried about med clearance, this Thurs will be a week since its been gone it would be so awesome if we heard back this week, dont know if I can stand waiting another week (even though I know they have upto 2 weeks to get back to us).
  4. Senior Member
    Are you active duty? Cus I only thought the military had issues with their active duty being on ADD meds, not their spouses...
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Nope, im a spouse. And maybe it is only the active duty, im not sure. Thats what im wondering, if anyone has ever had any problems with it. Ive read many threads with people(spouses) stating that they ran into issues with med clearance due to mental health diagnoses.
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SassySpouse View Post
    Nope, im a spouse. And maybe it is only the active duty, im not sure. Thats what im wondering, if anyone has ever had any problems with it. Ive read many threads with people(spouses) stating that they ran into issues with med clearance due to mental health diagnoses.
    It is the spouse also that needs clearance. Have you spoke with anyone in overseas clearances. I personally know that guy at Lakenheath that does them. I would say with that documentation in your records you have a pretty good chance of being approved because of your diagnosis. It is where people that have been diagnosed with depression get denied. There are also people that get seasonal depression when they get there because you rarely see the sun. They actually have these lights that you strap to your head that give your body sunlight.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you Decks, no i havent called the overseas clearance because I didnt know I could and also because sometimes when you ask to many questions (i believe) it can get you into trouble so Ive just been IMpatiently waiting to hear back. And also we've been in Minot, ND where its snows aobut 7-8 months out of the year and at times has very little sun light and short day light hours so im pretty use to the no sunlight situation.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SassySpouse View Post
    Thank you Decks, no i havent called the overseas clearance because I didnt know I could and also because sometimes when you ask to many questions (i believe) it can get you into trouble so Ive just been IMpatiently waiting to hear back. And also we've been in Minot, ND where its snows aobut 7-8 months out of the year and at times has very little sun light and short day light hours so im pretty use to the no sunlight situation.
    Well...that's good. I didn't mind not seeing the sun often but I tell you...in the winter time it would be pitch black at 3:30 in the afternoon! Now that got old!

When is your report date? Your DH should be able to check with how everything is going. But...no news is good news in my eyes. I am sure it will be fine!

We were at Lakenheath from july 2005-2008. We loved it and traveled every chance we got! Let me know if you have any questions!
  9. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I know a family that got approved and both the kids had ADHD
    As far as leave, have you concidered leaving a little early and taking leave-in-route? Sometimes doing that can be easier than getting 2 weeks of leave approved now concidering you are leaving in April.

10. Senior Member
    I'm surprised they let you get started with the no-fee and visa without the EFMP. Normally you have to have a copy of orders to even get those started with the Air Force. Lakenheath in general for some reason tends to be a little more strict on health conditions from what I've heard, I don't think they have full medical or something maybe? It's very possible you won't be able to go over until after your husband goes, so hopefully your EFMP will go through quick. I've heard of people getting cleared with major health problems and denied for minor ones. Just luck of the draw with who's looking at your paperwork.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast