Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about housing and moving

1. wishin
    wishin

question about housing and moving

Advertisements
    Soo ill keep this short. we live in housing in norfolk.. but will be switching to shore duty still in VA but 40min away. do we get the option to switch to the housing by it? or are we sol?
    Sometimes the smallest things take up the biggest space in your heart.
  2. Senior Member
    That's a good question. I thought it was a 50 mile radius, but with a true PCS, you are probably entitled to the move!

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. wishin
    wishin
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    That's a good question. I thought it was a 50 mile radius, but with a true PCS, you are probably entitled to the move!

man i really hope so! we would be going from the HRBT for those of you from here to the border of VA and NC. its really only 37 miles i think which is really over an hr drive for the traffic here, but its a long way for us. i dont care if we need to move our selves.. with me not working we could use the less gas money. if we had to stay here thats a tank every 2 days! $60! it wont be for a few months when everything is final and then we will talk to housing.. i just dont want to move out.. have no where to live.. just to get back in the housing wait list. we cant afford anything else and we have been looking!

thanks!
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I have always thought it was 50 miles to for it to be an actual PCS and for them to move you. I know you can request to move to a different housing area or even a different house in the same housing area, however the move may be on you and you will have to make sure you aren't breaking the contract (usually 1 yrs and then month by month for military housing).

5. wishin
    wishin
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    I have always thought it was 50 miles to for it to be an actual PCS and for them to move you. I know you can request to move to a different housing area or even a different house in the same housing area, however the move may be on you and you will have to make sure you aren't breaking the contract (usually 1 yrs and then month by month for military housing).
    ours was 6mths then month by month. we have lived here for over a yr and half. last i heard you had to move out of housing to get back into houseing
  6. Banned
    Banned
    it is 60 miles from the the duty station for a PCS, you may be able to pay to move yourself to the closer housing- but this will be 100% up to the housing if they will allow it.
  7. wishin
    wishin
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    it is 60 miles from the the duty station for a PCS, you may be able to pay to move yourself to the closer housing- but this will be 100% up to the housing if they will allow it.

i dont mind moving ourselves or any of that.. i just wondered if they would let us go from housing to housing without moving out into town and getting back on the list.. if that we had to mov e out in town it would be hotel living for us.
  8. You are here.
    You are here.
    I know of two girls from another forum, one that lived in Wadsworth/Dam Neck housing(her DH was stationed at Oceana) but once he transferred to NOB, they allowed the family to move to housing over at NOB. Another one living in Ptown housing while her DH was stationed at NOB, he moved to Oceana, and they moved to Wadsworth out over at Dam Neck. I *think* you might be able to get one move from housing to housing if its due to orders. Good luck.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sailornwife View Post
    i dont mind moving ourselves or any of that.. i just wondered if they would let us go from housing to housing without moving out into town and getting back on the list.. if that we had to mov e out in town it would be hotel living for us.
    You will most likely have to get on the list. Especially if you are within a driving range from where you live now to the job. To me it would not seem fair to those who have been waiting for housing to be bumped down just because you are getting a new duty station. They might let you stay in the house you are in til your name is number one on the housing list for the new housing but than again they might not. Best to call the housing offices for both places to see how that would work.
  10. wishin
    wishin
    Quote Originally Posted by Frybread View Post
    I know of two girls from another forum, one that lived in Wadsworth/Dam Neck housing(her DH was stationed at Oceana) but once he transferred to NOB, they allowed the family to move to housing over at NOB. Another one living in Ptown housing while her DH was stationed at NOB, he moved to Oceana, and they moved to Wadsworth out over at Dam Neck. I *think* you might be able to get one move from housing to housing if its due to orders. Good luck.

thank you! Yes I have been looking around and the housing is not on the norfolk/hampton roads list so i believe we will be able to move. If we didnt.. we would be driving for almost HAMPTON to North carolina Border EVERYDAY! thats a long freaking drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    You will most likely have to get on the list. Especially if you are within a driving range from where you live now to the job. To me it would not seem fair to those who have been waiting for housing to be bumped down just because you are getting a new duty station. They might let you stay in the house you are in til your name is number one on the housing list for the new housing but than again they might not. Best to call the housing offices for both places to see how that would work.

frankly it would be better for them if they moved us. They have NO wait. and a long wait for where we live. 400 active duty members at the base there vs. tens of thousands around here. But if we were just moving somewhere else in this area like down the street i diff agree with you!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast