Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: JAPAN CAR SEAT RULES + OUTLETS?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Question JAPAN CAR SEAT RULES + OUTLETS?

Advertisements
    Two different subjects, I know ha ha does anyone know what car seat regulations are in Japan?? Of course I don't want to sit my daughter on my lap while we drive to lodging but I also don't want to pay $50 to check the thing. So we can't decide if we should take our car seat with us, we aren't going directly to Japan, we're going home for a month and then traveling. Also are there American outlets in the military housing over there? How about out in town off base? I know Europe has different outlets .. thank yous!!!
  2. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    I'd probably take the seat, and yes, there are regular outlets in housing.

ETA: Off base, they only offer the two prong hole, so if you have something with a grounding prong (the third stick on the plug) then it won't work.
  3. Senior Member
    Gate check your car seat. Because regardless of what Japan it self has, you will need a carseat on base. Not to mention depending on where you are going, you might not want to drive around without your child in a carseat.

Or if you child has their own seat on the plane use the carseat on the plane.

I don't remember what the outlets are like but I googled for you and I believe Japan is the same as the US.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Love

Thank you guys for quick replies!!
    Southern-momma, so you think I can gate-check car seat? Even with a stroller too? Err, ha ha I guess I can call to find out, but if I can, I'm doing it! It's the happy middle of leaving it behind and paying ha ha ha. And I googled japanese outlets and you're right, they're on the same one we have, thanks!!!
  5. Senior Member
    I won't promise you can, but I know I was able to when I flew. But it might depend on the airline. But play up the military move aspect lol. Where are you flying into?

Anyhow, with me I had a nine month old and obviously needed a carseat when I got to my destination. And I had the stroller as well. I know I gate checked both for one part of my flight but the other part I just had the carseat on the plane.

Also how old is your child?
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Anyhow, with me I had a nine month old and obviously needed a carseat when I got to my destination. And I had the stroller as well. I know I gate checked both for one part of my flight but the other part I just had the carseat on the plane.

Also how old is your child?

She just turned 19 months, getting close to paying for her airfare!!! ha ha I actually just called, I'm stickin the car seat w/my husband, I was told that I *could* take two items to gate check (ie stroller + car seat) but they might charge depending. But my husband won't have a stroller, a child or any other things to carry while he's in the terminal, it's goin' with him!! hehehe. Oh we're flying into Chicago, it's where we're from, we're doing 30 days of leave before we head to Japan. How old is your little one now?
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I know when we just flew air tran (i know they don't go overseas) but we got to check them for free! Air tran was awesome about it cause my mom bought both the carseat and stroller for us and we were worried about how to get it back to tx. Well they strectch the rule a little bit for us (considering bebe is inside of me ) and let us check them for free
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    The military should be paying for her seat on the plane. If you are flying United, they will check the car seat for free with your orders. At least they did in October when we flew for our PCS to Hawaii.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashlynwondrland View Post
    She just turned 19 months, getting close to paying for her airfare!!! ha ha I actually just called, I'm stickin the car seat w/my husband, I was told that I *could* take two items to gate check (ie stroller + car seat) but they might charge depending. But my husband won't have a stroller, a child or any other things to carry while he's in the terminal, it's goin' with him!! hehehe. Oh we're flying into Chicago, it's where we're from, we're doing 30 days of leave before we head to Japan. How old is your little one now?
    Mine youngest is 4 now.

Yeah if you guys are traveling together just have your husband have one or the other to gate check. You are going to have your hands full. Make him responsible for something other than his carry on. You are allow (iirc and depending on airline) to have your carry on, a diaper bag or carry on for your child and your purse without any extra fees.

But as stated above, the military will purchase a seat for the child. I am actually surprised they did not do that for you. Especially with you going to Japan.