Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Our first PCS and base housing???

  1. Regular Member
    mjssls's Avatar
    mjssls is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    39
    #1

    Our first PCS and base housing???

    Advertisements
    DF is in the Marines and finds out where he will be stationed soon!! I am very excited but a little nervous and I have TONS of questions.... so here is the first round of questions....

    1. After we get married (which will be after he gets his orders) we have to apply for base housing. The wait list is kind of long, so we were just going to go ahead and apply even though I won't be able to physically move there until early 2011. Lets say we get base housing at the end of 2010... will they let him live there by himself until I can move or will they make us wait until I actually can move in? Thanks for any answers!
  2. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by mjssls View Post
    DF is in the Marines and finds out where he will be stationed soon!! I am very excited but a little nervous and I have TONS of questions.... so here is the first round of questions....

    1. After we get married (which will be after he gets his orders) we have to apply for base housing. The wait list is kind of long, so we were just going to go ahead and apply even though I won't be able to physically move there until early 2011. Lets say we get base housing at the end of 2010... will they let him live there by himself until I can move or will they make us wait until I actually can move in? Thanks for any answers!
    no not usually, he will be considered a GEOgraghical BACHelor, and even tho you plan on moving there in 2011- they will not give him a house until you are scheduled to arrive.
  3. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjssls View Post
    DF is in the Marines and finds out where he will be stationed soon!! I am very excited but a little nervous and I have TONS of questions.... so here is the first round of questions....

    1. After we get married (which will be after he gets his orders) we have to apply for base housing. The wait list is kind of long, so we were just going to go ahead and apply even though I won't be able to physically move there until early 2011. Lets say we get base housing at the end of 2010... will they let him live there by himself until I can move or will they make us wait until I actually can move in? Thanks for any answers!
    No not normally unless the housing is privatized and than anyone and everyone can live in base housing if that is what the company deems their choice.

    You do realize that if you get married after he gets his orders that you will be responsible for moving your items to his new duty station on your own dime?
  4. Waiting Around
    Mac N Cheese's Avatar
    Mac N Cheese is offline
    Waiting Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    No not normally unless the housing is privatized and than anyone and everyone can live in base housing if that is what the company deems their choice.

    You do realize that if you get married after he gets his orders that you will be responsible for moving your items to his new duty station on your own dime?
    If housing is privatized they won't even know you aren't living there. As long as you guys are married he will recieve dependent BAH and thats all he needs to cover the rent of base housing.

    And also like she said it might be worth having a quick JOP wedding so your stuff will get moved with his stuff. Otherwise you are SOL and have to pay for your own move.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

  5. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #5
    never mind didn't make sense.
  6. Regular Member
    mjssls's Avatar
    mjssls is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    39
    #6
    Thanks so much for all of your helpful advice ladies! Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be able to do a JOP as quick as we would like to... so we will have to pay for all of my stuff to get shipped. Luckily I am in college... so I don't have too much to move!
  7. Waiting Around
    Mac N Cheese's Avatar
    Mac N Cheese is offline
    Waiting Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mjssls View Post
    Thanks so much for all of your helpful advice ladies! Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be able to do a JOP as quick as we would like to... so we will have to pay for all of my stuff to get shipped. Luckily I am in college... so I don't have too much to move!
    I moved with whatever I could fit in my suit cases and whatever little things my parents wanted to ship to me. Its better that way
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •