Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Moving w/ Bad Credit-- help please.

  1. Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Jessi.Nicole's Avatar
    Jessi.Nicole is offline
    Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Me: Kentucky Him: Seymour Johnson AFB
    Posts
    1,412
    #1

    Moving w/ Bad Credit-- help please.

    Advertisements
    DF was granted to get off base housing prior to us getting married, which is great- or so we thought. but now he has me all up in a panic because of dismal credit situation. Usually, we just put everything in my name, but SJAFB is 10 hours away from me and with the baby I can't just take a few days and go house hunting with him, it's not feasible. So I guess my question is what are our options? DF has VERY bad credit and even though he's "military" I am still 100% positive he has to go through the normal credit check for apartments, and with his credit the chances of him getting approved by himself are slim. I am just curious as to what options we have, if any. Would apartments allow us to list myself as the main "resident" even though i can't be present (like do it via fax? Lol idk obviously), because my name will have to be put on there as a resident anyways since I'll be there in a month. *worried* thanks in advance for any advice! Oh, PS- My idea was to check with base housing office and see if they offered any housing options for people with poor credit- do they do that??



    "So, after tech school are they going to deport you?"
    "...*silence*... No babe... they aren't going to deport me..."
  2. Kicking our first deployments ass... most of the time.
    Alybee's Avatar
    Alybee is offline
    Kicking our first deployments ass... most of the time.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Posts
    404
    #2
    When we got our apartment they told us that it wasn't necessary to do a credit check on DH because he was military. It was "pre approved", and we just set it up for direct deposit when we moved in. We also didn't have to put down a deposit, either. IDK if they do that where you are or not, but it's worth checking into.
    "Distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing love when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."

    deployment status:overseas. [EXTENDED]
  3. Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Jessi.Nicole's Avatar
    Jessi.Nicole is offline
    Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Me: Kentucky Him: Seymour Johnson AFB
    Posts
    1,412
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alybee View Post
    When we got our apartment they told us that it wasn't necessary to do a credit check on DH because he was military. It was "pre approved", and we just set it up for direct deposit when we moved in. We also didn't have to put down a deposit, either. IDK if they do that where you are or not, but it's worth checking into.
    Thank you! You've at least made me feel a little more at ease about the situation! (I just had to listen to a 15 minute panic session from DF about how he's going to be homeless )

    I saw you're in Gulfport Ms, is your hubby AF or Navy? DF just left keesler.

    EDIT: I looked at your post again, you're Navy! Small world! How long have you guys been in MS? I think DF would have enjoyed it more if he weren't there for his training.



    "So, after tech school are they going to deport you?"
    "...*silence*... No babe... they aren't going to deport me..."
  4. Kicking our first deployments ass... most of the time.
    Alybee's Avatar
    Alybee is offline
    Kicking our first deployments ass... most of the time.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Posts
    404
    #4
    Glad to help put you at ease! Oh! Also look into renting a house, you can rent houses through the military housing act or whatever it's called. That's how we pay for our current house now- we rent it, and we set up the rent with a bank allotment. Because we're military, they cut us a break on the deposit that we put down, as well. If you call the Base Housing authority at your new duty station, they can give you the list of Realtors and apartments that offer military deals and things in the area. Small perks for uniforms, haha.

    Haha. DH has been in Gulfport since August of 08, and I've been here since April of 09. And. Eh, it's ok. -shrug- As far as where we could have ended up this is pretty nice, because it's only a 5 hr drive from "home" for us. So, I can get in the car at 6am and meet my mom for lunch if I wanted to. LOL. Its a lot nicer when its a bit warmer out- this winter has been awful cold for some reason. But yeah, he probably would have liked it better if it wasn't just for his training. There's not a ton to do here (unless you really just love to go to casinos), but there's the beach, and a really nice river to swim at, and we're only an hour away from New Orleans. So, it's fun when you've got weekends to go galavanting around.
    "Distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing love when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."

    deployment status:overseas. [EXTENDED]
  5. Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Jessi.Nicole's Avatar
    Jessi.Nicole is offline
    Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Me: Kentucky Him: Seymour Johnson AFB
    Posts
    1,412
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Alybee View Post
    Glad to help put you at ease! Oh! Also look into renting a house, you can rent houses through the military housing act or whatever it's called. That's how we pay for our current house now- we rent it, and we set up the rent with a bank allotment. Because we're military, they cut us a break on the deposit that we put down, as well. If you call the Base Housing authority at your new duty station, they can give you the list of Realtors and apartments that offer military deals and things in the area. Small perks for uniforms, haha.

    Haha. DH has been in Gulfport since August of 08, and I've been here since April of 09. And. Eh, it's ok. -shrug- As far as where we could have ended up this is pretty nice, because it's only a 5 hr drive from "home" for us. So, I can get in the car at 6am and meet my mom for lunch if I wanted to. LOL. Its a lot nicer when its a bit warmer out- this winter has been awful cold for some reason. But yeah, he probably would have liked it better if it wasn't just for his training. There's not a ton to do here (unless you really just love to go to casinos), but there's the beach, and a really nice river to swim at, and we're only an hour away from New Orleans. So, it's fun when you've got weekends to go galavanting around.
    I'll tell him to look into that. Thanks for the info.

    Yeah, there didn't seem to be a ton to do down there. Still pretty torn up really. DFs aunt lives in Long Beach and she blamed the cold weather on my DF, since we're from Ky... apparently he brought the cold with him. Lol. I love warmer areas, I would have enjoyed being stationed there during the summer to be honest! We're going to NC now, which is also nice, but it's an even smaller, dinky hole in the ground place with even less to do than Keesler if that's possible. We're like an hour away from all other life forms. You can tell I'm thrilled. hehe.



    "So, after tech school are they going to deport you?"
    "...*silence*... No babe... they aren't going to deport me..."
  6. Kicking our first deployments ass... most of the time.
    Alybee's Avatar
    Alybee is offline
    Kicking our first deployments ass... most of the time.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Posts
    404
    #6
    Rofl. That's how I felt about moving here. We live in Long Beach! Hehe! And yeah, it is still pretty torn up. Esp the Pass Christian and Bay St Louis areas. They've done a lot of work though, even just since I've been here. Hopefully the base you go to will be as nice as Kessler is though; OUR base is dinky, lol. Kessler is like, 3x as big.. but, somehow we ended up with the skate park and the paint ball fields. -shrug- It's cool though. I just like being able to shop at BOTH bases (they're like 20 miles apart, lol.) when I need stuff. Hopefully you'll like where the new base y'all are going to though!
    "Distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing love when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."

    deployment status:overseas. [EXTENDED]
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    His*PITA*'s Avatar
    His*PITA* is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over a rainbow
    Posts
    69,415

    #7
    You could give him POA so that he can put your name on the lease without you being there...
  8. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #8
    here is this area everyone no matter who or where they work are required to do a credit check.

    however they look for things like evictions, rentals charge offs -- and then look for late payments and non payments. some will still rent but will require a higher deposit.

    the best thing to do is call a few rentals and ask.

    and aslo ask about the set a side program this is a program that does allotment for rent and if you use this program have a better chance of getting a rental.
    your housing office will have the information about the set a side program ( the housing office at the base you need the rental)
    HTH's
  9. Senior Member
    Judi89's Avatar
    Judi89 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30,839
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    You could give him POA so that he can put your name on the lease without you being there...

    GREAT idea! If I can close on a house, twice, with DH's specific POA, I'm sure yours can do a rental contract with one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •