Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawaii PCS

1. Senior Member

Hawaii PCS

Advertisements
    My fiance is in the Navy and currently stationed in Dahlgren, VA, and will be stationed at Pearl Harbor around June of this year. We are set to get married May 22nd here in our hometown of Laguna Beach, CA, but are a little nervous about the big leap across the pond immediately afterwards. He will be driving from VA to California when he gets a month leave from his current base, so he should have all of his gear with him in CA for the wedding. But we are curious as to if we will have any problems shipping things from California to Hawaii as it is not his base location... I don't know if that would even play in as a factor...

Is there any paperwork to fill out beforehand, or any to do's to get done...?? Feeling a little overwhelmed planning a wedding in addition to now planning a new household, job, life, the works...

Any feedback is very very very appreciated!!!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    yes, you will have a very hard time-- you cannot PCS from any location -- IT can only be from the OLD duty station- he will have to send His stuff ahead of him.

also there was a new rule change and the member can no longer choose where to ship a car- they are no longer allowing members to drive cross country and collect per diem and MALT and THEN have the GOV ship the vehicle.

this rule changed last month,,

he will be told to ship the vehicle from the "nearest shipping port" to his VA BASE and then will have to arrange with the military to pay for his flight from CA to HI- but they will not pay for him to get to CA and then to HI.

also since he will already have orders before you get married they will not pay for you to go to HI, you will have to ship your HHG's your self and your car, and you will pay out of pocket to fly to HI from CA.
    also have your DF check on whether you need command sponsorship to go to HI- it is considered Oconus .
  3. Senior Member
    Oh wow, I already have my ticket and I'm not too worried about getting reimbursed because I purchased it a few months ago knowing it would be WAY cheaper than waiting until the last minute..

And I'm not exactly in with all the lingo yet.. what's a DF??
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ashypea View Post
    Oh wow, I already have my ticket and I'm not too worried about getting reimbursed because I purchased it a few months ago knowing it would be WAY cheaper than waiting until the last minute..

And I'm not exactly in with all the lingo yet.. what's a DF??
    DF is dear Fiance.
  5. Senior Member
    Ahhh, also I was talking to him yesterday and he said that when he talked to one of the 1st Class's that they said that because they ship vehicles out of San Diego, they would give him extra leave days and pay for is flight out of CA if he drove down there himself... If they don't ship my stuff we can always fill his truck and get a heavy duty lock camper shell..
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    No, you can't fill his truck. You aren't supposed to have anything in the vehicle except a emergency items such as tool, blanket first aid kit, etc. At least that the rule the few times we shipped. You'd better make sure of that.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddyboots View Post
    No, you can't fill his truck. You aren't supposed to have anything in the vehicle except a emergency items such as tool, blanket first aid kit, etc. At least that the rule the few times we shipped. You'd better make sure of that.
    Yes this is true. There are few items they allow in vehicles when being shipped. And they will check and if the items are in there, they make you remove them. No sneaking allowed.

And OP, your fiance is better off talking to the transportation (moving people) because they will pick the closest shipping port to ship his car from. Closest to his current duty station, not closest to where he is according to where he is living.
  8. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    As the other ladies said, they don't allow anything in the vehicle except whatever car stuff [emergency roadside kit, floor mats, etc] that will fit in this one box they'll have. They strip the car down and check all compartments.

Also, he may want to check with his detailer to make sure his orders won't get yanked for now having a dependent. He's moving there with 0 dependents according to his orders, but he'll check in with a dependent that he's adding (you). I believe you have to have command sponsorship to live here with benefits [medical, base housing or BAH at the with dependent rate, COLA, etc] since it's OCONUS (we had to check in with the command and get an endorsement letter proving mine and DD's command sponsorship before base housing would even see us). Plus, you get COLA [Cost of Living Allowance-it's extra money for the increased expenses of living here] for living here, and the more dependents you have, the more COLA you get. So he needs to make sure he's not going to show up and they'll either say you won't get command sponsorship meaning you can't live in base housing, he may have to live in the barracks depending on his rank, and you won't get COLA for you or they may take his orders away completely and send him somewhere else since his dependent status (and thus the cost of him to live there because of BAH and COLA increases due to him now having a dependent) changed enroute.

Long story short, he needs to get with the finance office, personal property office, his detailer, and his receiving command to let them know about this and find out what they're going to do about it from the horse's mouth instead of through hearsay regarding his car shipment and you.
  9. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    Quote Originally Posted by ashypea View Post
    Ahhh, also I was talking to him yesterday and he said that when he talked to one of the 1st Class's that they said that because they ship vehicles out of San Diego, they would give him extra leave days and pay for is flight out of CA if he drove down there himself... If they don't ship my stuff we can always fill his truck and get a heavy duty lock camper shell..
    If the rule changed last month, that first class might not know about it. I didn't know the rule had changed and neither did my DH. The only way to know for sure if they're going to let him do it or not is for him to call Personal Property to find out.

Everything with the military changes quite frequently without notice. I wouldn't count any chickens until they've hatched. I've heard of people having had their stuff already moved and driving to their next duty station only to be called and told their orders changed. That they had to call the moving company to change the destination of their house hold goods, and start driving themselves in another direction to the new base. Even though it's rare, I never feel that we've for sure got a duty station until we've arrived there and DH has checked into his new command.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    the rule changed in nov-

also the navy can add to the rules- and if they are saying it has to be the nearest port then that is what they have to do.

I know several families who PCSed this past summer who were NOT allowed to drive cross country and ship from CA.

they were told the navy is not allowing it due to budget issues.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast