Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Army single soldier BAH questions!

1. ------------------
    ------------------

Army single soldier BAH questions!

Advertisements
    I have a question for you Army people. My sister is a single E5, with no dependents. At her current duty station, she was authorized to move off base when the barracks became full. (She went through all the proper chains to get official approval.)

She has now been living in an apartment for 18 months. When she moved in, she got a dog and of course, furnished her apartment.

She just received PCS orders. From what I can find online, it is an Army policy that states that single E5's have to live in the barracks unless they are full. When she PCS's, are they going to require her to get rid of her dog and put all of her household goods in storage so that she can live in the barracks? Perhaps commands tend to 'grandfather' people who have been living off base and allow them to continue living off base? What can she expect to happen?

If you or your SO's can offer any information/guidance/advice, it would be appreciated! The Navy works a bit differently.
  2. Member
    No info for you but Ill bump it! Hope you find what your looking for!
    Survived deployment #1
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRalston View Post
    I have a question for you Army people. My sister is a single E5, with no dependents. At her current duty station, she was authorized to move off base when the barracks became full. (She went through all the proper chains to get official approval.)

She has now been living in an apartment for 18 months. When she moved in, she got a dog and of course, furnished her apartment.

She just received PCS orders. From what I can find online, it is an Army policy that states that single E5's have to live in the barracks unless they are full. When she PCS's, are they going to require her to get rid of her dog and put all of her household goods in storage so that she can live in the barracks? Perhaps commands tend to 'grandfather' people who have been living off base and allow them to continue living off base? What can she expect to happen?

If you or your SO's can offer any information/guidance/advice, it would be appreciated! The Navy works a bit differently.
    She will have to follow the command orders for the base she is moving to. I am assuming at least temporarily she will have to put her items in storage and perhaps get a family member or good friend to take her dog until she knows if she will be able to move off base.

What she can do, is call the unit she will be working with and ask for some sort of supervisor there and ask them what is normal in this situation. Each base is different and sometimes each unit is different all on the same base.
  4. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    She will have to follow the command orders for the base she is moving to. I am assuming at least temporarily she will have to put her items in storage and perhaps get a family member or good friend to take her dog until she knows if she will be able to move off base.

What she can do, is call the unit she will be working with and ask for some sort of supervisor there and ask them what is normal in this situation. Each base is different and sometimes each unit is different all on the same base.
    Thank you. I will suggest she does this. What a tough situation. When it comes to cases like this, it is so unfair that single soldiers do not have the same rights as their married counterparts.
  5. ------------------
    ------------------
    Giving this a little
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    wow army makes you live in dorms all the way to e5! shit thats crazy!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by *Mackenzie* View Post
    wow army makes you live in dorms all the way to e5! shit thats crazy!
    ...and it was up through E6 until it was changed in 2005!
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JRal View Post
    ...and it was up through E6 until it was changed in 2005!
    Well it's still single E6 and below overseas... or at least in Korea it is.
    When I was in the navy at NAS Lemoore, single E5 and up were allowed to live off if they wanted to and single E4's could get permission to live off base.