Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Cross Country

1. Senior Member

Moving Cross Country

Advertisements
    So over the summer I'm going to be moving from Oregon to Lejeune. DF and I have agreed that moving back we'll have more stuff, so we're saving the military help for then. I was just wondering if shipping stuff would be better, or driving. DF is planning on getting a place in town soon so i can ship some stuff (like winter clothes and things i wont be needing), but we're debating what to do with the bigger stuff. I have a few dressers that we're planning on taking and I already have a set of dishes (not to mention wedding gifts). Does anyone know if it is generally cheaper and safer to ship things or to drive?
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I don't understand what you are trying to ask. You're moving, you want to know weither it is sheaper/safer to do a military move or a dity (or partial dity)? I don't know what you mean about shipping. If you do a military move, the military will do everything, packing and shipping. If you do a dity, you do everything, pack and drive, or pack and get a pod and ship it that way, or you can get the military to take the heavy stuff up to your limit and then drive the rest (partial dity). If you do a DITY you only get 95% of what the military would pay movers for your weight limit. If the military moves you and you go over your weight limit, you will have to pay them back, if you do a dity or partial and go over with that you personally take, they will not pay the difference. If you are talking about getting the military to take up to what you are allowed and they you personally ship/post the rest (UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc), that would get really expensive, it would probably be a lot cheaper to get a u-haul

3. Senior Member
    DF says that the military will only pay for us to move once. Since we'll have more stuff coming back home when he gets out, we're going to be moving our sleves out there.
    06.06.09 R.I.P. Gabe
    ~Wishing you'd been with us instead of the sea of ribbons~
    06.01.10 R.I.P. Granddad
    ~I love you~
  4. Banned
    Banned
    ok to answer your question- since he is already there they will only pay to move your stuff if you are in the location of his HOR, he has not moved anytihng from HIS HOR -or you are at the last duty station AND he did not move his full weight allowance from the old PDS.

so if any of the above is true you may be entitled to a move- even if he is getting out - they will pay for another move then too.

they will only pay to get the HHG's to the duty station they will not pay to get you or your car there.
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

So he is already there? Or you are both moving after you get married?

6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I'm confused. I dont see why the military wouuld only move him once. If that was true there would be a lot of pissed military members when they PCS
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Mackenzie* View Post
    I'm confused. I dont see why the military wouuld only move him once. If that was true there would be a lot of pissed military members when they PCS
    That is what i thought too.

DF is in Lejeune. I'm in Oregon, where we are both from. He's been living in the barracks for his whole time in for far (2 years). He's told me that the Corps will only pay for one move (he will not be PCS to our knowledge, he's going to stay in Lejeune for the next 2 years and will not reenlist). I will be moving out there after we are married, but i will be taking some of his stuff because he's left a few things here for when he's home.
    06.06.09 R.I.P. Gabe
    06.01.10 R.I.P. Granddad
    ~I love you~
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

ok, understanding it more now. He is already there and you will be moving there after you get married, so you are not on his orders yet. Technically the military has paid for him to move out there when he was single, so they will not pay for you to move now he is married. You will have to do it yourself, weither it is finding a mover, hiring a pod ot a u-haul. Depending on how much stuff you have will determine which would be the cheapest way.

9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Since he is already stationed there and not PCSing to somewhere else no they will not pay to move your stuff. They might pay to move his stuff out of the dorms though. They did with my husband when he got married to me and moved off base.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykay View Post
    ok, understanding it more now. He is already there and you will be moving there after you get married, so you are not on his orders yet. Technically the military has paid for him to move out there when he was single, so they will not pay for you to move now he is married. You will have to do it yourself, weither it is finding a mover, hiring a pod ot a u-haul. Depending on how much stuff you have will determine which would be the cheapest way.
    ok, thank you.
    06.06.09 R.I.P. Gabe
    06.01.10 R.I.P. Granddad
    ~I love you~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast