Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Coping with a PCS

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Coping with a PCS

Advertisements
    Hey guys, I am new to this forum so I apologize if there's already a thread like this. I just survived my 2nd PCS from overseas and I am having a hard time with adjusting.

Now that I'm done with college (for now) and I'm phasing out of the "party" phase of life...I literally have no idea how to make friends. I'm young, intelligent, and I do like people; but I just don't know where to begin. I don't have kids and I don't want kids. I know kids are a thing that draws a lot of spouses together. I am an atheist; religious involvement would not work for me. I wish there were atheist "churches" (organizations) but...I haven't found any so far.

So any advice?
  2. HIS NUMBER 1 FAN
    HIS NUMBER 1 FAN
    Well...hmm, okay, how about volunteering in your community? Find something you could really get into helping with and do it.
    I help out here with the animal shelter and the womens domestic violence shelter, and the Habitat for Humanity house building projects.

If you find something you really enjoy that you could volunteer at, then you will meet like minded people.

Also, Idk, maybe strike up conversation with someone at your gym or where you get coffee. Online sometimes, places like this site, you find people who live near you, and whether or not you have similar backgrounds or kids or not, or religion or not in common, the military binds us all and you can develop some truly great friendships with women (and men) who understand what we do
    Hope this helps and isn't too rambley!...yes I know, not a real word, I made it up..hehehe
    Luveyduvey
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Have you looked into see if your base has a spouses group? Most bases will have both enlisted and officer spouses groups and within that group tey have special interest groups (coffee club, book club, movie girls, etc). Other things if you have a hobby, check out the local craft stores to see if they have classes, try looking for a job.

4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I've been e-mailing around trying to find volunteer opportunities on base. The people here are less than friendly. I thought us New Englanders were bad, but Maryland takes the cake lol. I have found a job (it took a LOT longer than I had expected having just graduated college) at a bank, but I don't start until mid-Feb.
    I'm thinking about taking a Spanish class or something just for fun to meet people. Thanks for the advice so far guys