Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCSing...?

1. 11.21.09<3
    11.21.09<3

PCSing...?

Advertisements
    I just moved in with DH a week ago, and as my luck would go, he got news that he should update his dreamsheet because everyone whose higher than an A1C and has been here longer than 2 years will be PCSing. Ughhh. I have terrible luck! I just set up an interview for a job too!

Anyways. We were looking online at bases that we would be interesting in going to. We made our list, but I was just wondering, what AF bases do you ladies prefer over others? Any input would be such a help, this is our first relocation!

Thanks!
  2. Regular Member
    We're currently at Whiteman and it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's a smaller base and the nearest "city" is Kansas City, an hour away. We live in Warrensburg which is about a 10 minute drive. They are remodeling/adding onto some of the older base housing...from what I can see they are adding square footage to the ones by the main gate. Behind the clinic they are building all new townhouse styles with garages. They just put in a huge playground that my daughter can't wait to try out. It's a good base for families and not bad for the younger crowd either since Warrensburg is a college town. If you're into barhopping check out Pine Street. If there is anything specific you want to know PM me.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Any base is how you make it. You aren't going to find a perfect base and sometimes you will find good work conditions and crappy bosses.

The AF will move you where they need you...your dream sheet is that. Just for where you would "like" to go. My DH put down the first time Eglin and got Minot.

Good luck!
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    Any base is how you make it.
    The AF will move you where they need you...your dream sheet is that. Just for where you would "like" to go. My DH put down the first time Eglin and got Minot.

Good luck!
    I agree with this. We have heard people complain and glorify EVERY base. Some people like Minot, Hill, Eglin, Tyndall, Shaw etc and some people don't. Everyone is different.

My DH in particular would love to do whatever it takes to stay overseas as long as possible. The money is great and he/we like to travel. But there's even overseas bases which aren't exactly perfect (we thought Italy would be awesome, but prefer Germany).

Plus some jobs can't go to every base (like DH's). Our #1 stateside is Davis-Monthan in Tucson.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    We have been stationed at 2 different bases since we got married and my DH was at another for several years before that.

We have liked both places--Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City, SD and Eglin AFB in Shalimar, Florida. Very different, obviously but both interesting. Ellsworth is smaller than Eglin...there is definitely a huge military community down here. We like being so close to the beach, but we loved the Black Hills in SD too.

DH didn't like Cannon AFB in Clovis, NM much because it was in a very small town pretty far from any sizeable city, but he survived 4 years there just fine.
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Just because he has been told to update his dream sheet doesn't mean a. you will PCS (they have to make sure every pay grade that they need is covered) and b. you will get a base on your dream sheet (they will send you where they are in need of someone in your DH's paygrade).
    The base we are at now was not on our dream sheet and the base we will be going to next summer isn't either (it wasn't even on the list of bases we could choose from). And I agree with DakotaCowgirl. The base is what you make of it. There are many people here that do not like this base. I do, I have made some great friends here, the only thing I don't like is the long snow season, I'm a beach girl, so I miss the beach, but

7. Regular Member
    Yeah filling out your dreamsheet is just that..a dream! LOL My husband has been in the Air Force for 8 years and been to two bases..Hickam AFB and Andrews AFB, in Md. We are PCSing to MacDill AFB in Florida but he applied for a job there. Definatly depends on where the AF needs you and all depends on career field too. Good luck! Bases are defiantly what you make them...I don't mind this base (Andrews) but I hate the area. Others love the area but hate the base.
  8. Regular Member
    Not to hijack, but I don't get the dream sheet thing. When it is time for us to PCS they send us a list of all the places available, and we choose our top 6 in order, then they send us out according to everyone else's choices. Doesn't everyone do that? Do you just pull bases out of thin air where you want to go? That seems weird.

When are his orders up? That's usually when we know we are going to PCS.
  9. Senior Member
    We just got #8 on our dreamsheet so make sure everything you put on there you would want to go. And don't put barksdale on there

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by sukhakuli View Post
    Not to hijack, but I don't get the dream sheet thing. When it is time for us to PCS they send us a list of all the places available, and we choose our top 6 in order, then they send us out according to everyone else's choices. Doesn't everyone do that? Do you just pull bases out of thin air where you want to go? That seems weird.

When are his orders up? That's usually when we know we are going to PCS.
    In the Air Force, you don't get to chose where you want to go. You get sent. A dream sheet is just that. You put your rank on where you would "like" to go and if there is an opening you may get selected. You get 5 choices state side and 5 (I think) OCONUS. If there is a demand at say, Minot and it is for your rank...that is where you will go. It may or may not be on your dream sheet.

My DH has asked for FL, CA, MO, AZ, and WY. He got Minot. There is not guarantee where they are going to send you.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast