Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Visa to visit USAF wife, or maybe jumping out a window would be easier...

1. Banned
    Banned

Help Getting a Visa to visit USAF wife, or maybe jumping out a window would be easier...

Advertisements
    Interesting
    Last edited by Montag; 09-07-2010 at 08:47 AM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Montag View Post
    Gals and Guys here's my sob story, (Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area)

The Airforce is PCS'ing us from Colorado to Lakenheath this coming summer. We're happy about that. (insert monkey wrench here) In the mean time the Air Force has decided to deploy my wife, the active duty member, to Ramstein in January for six months! That means she'll come back in June or July when we have to leave. Oh joy to my world...

Anyway, I want to take my two young kids (who love their mom) to visit her in March or April and just don't know what to do. I know the Airforce will give us Visas sometime after we get orders to PCS, but that will probably be too late to visit her. Should I go to to the post office and get Visa and just pay for them out of pocket? Is the post office the best place to go? The only thing I know about Visa's is that someone here said they cost $432 each. Is that true?

How much are the flippin passports then? So far the cheapest flight I can find to Frankfurt, near Ramstein, is around $600 bucks each! Am I going to have to spend thousands of dollars just to see my wife?

Someone said something about getting a "hop" from Colorado to Ramstein. How the heck do I do that? Do I just sit on the Petersen runway with my kids with our thumbs sticking out? How would we get back? Arrrghh...

Even if I manage to get over there to see her I have to come back, prepare the house for sale, have three sets of household good prepared to ship out..etc. I have to do all this with her not here! I have a POA, but I know I'll hear over and over "your wife has to do that..."

Sorry for the rant/plea for sympathy.. I'm a bit overwhelmed at this point...

If you're in Colorado Springs today and see anything fall off a building, that would probably be me....

Anything advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
    Can you even go "visit" her if she is on deployment? I have never heard of military paying for family members to visit the SO during a deployment, so if you even can go see her, i would think it all would have to be out of pocket...
  3. Senior Member

You can go for a visit to Germany with just passports because it is just for a short period of time. The military will issue you a "No Fee" passport and visa before you go.

I would for sure get the POA before she goes TDY. If you call the passenger terminal you get the paperwork you need to fly Space A.

We were at Lakenheath for 3 years...we loved it!
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Can you even go "visit" her if she is on deployment? I have never heard of military paying for family members to visit the SO during a deployment, so if you even can go see her, i would think it all would have to be out of pocket...
    I think Germany is considered a TDY not a deployment.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by decks View Post
    I think Germany is considered a TDY not a deployment.
    Ah, that makes sense!
  6. ProudArmyWifeD
    If you are just going to visit her, you don't need a visa. I think you can even visit for a month without a visa.

Just go and get your passports - and go NOW, they take a long time to process. Make sure you put the earliest you want to go visit on your applications, so that if at all possible they will get them to you quickly. They're expensive, yes, but you'll need them. DOD passports only allow you into the country you are stationed in, but while in Europe I am sure you will want to travel - everyone should have a tourist passport.

But anyway, get out and get your passport applications done NOW, and you should be fine for a visit in March or April. You won't need a visa at all.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

the "hop" the person told you about was most likely space-a flights, they are unreliable, you have to be willing to possibly wait around for days for space on flights, travel lightly (or mail your belongings), ect...

Here is a link thats got some pretty good info on it... Military Hops: Space-A Military Travel
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Hmmm Censorship.. What a concept...
    Last edited by Montag; 09-07-2010 at 08:43 AM.
  9. Banned
    Banned
  10. Banned
    Banned
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast