Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving and know nothing bout how the movers work!

1. Senior Member

Help Moving and know nothing bout how the movers work!

Advertisements
    This is our first move, never moved before. It's his first duty station, he's there but the furniture plus belongings are here with me. I didn't attend the briefing only he did, so my question is how do I prepare? Do I organize my belongings? I have most of my clothes packed, but what do I do with things such as electronics or jewlery? Do I unpack what's packed!? I have three large totes full of his clothes, do I have to take them out? Please I need all the advice I can get!!!!
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Set aside one room of the house (I used a 2nd bathroom) and put anything that you do NOT want packed in that room. Put a sign on the door and tell them as well that the room is DO NOT PACK.

Don't pack anything yourself. If you pack anything, they have to mark it as self-packed and if anything in that box is damaged, they will not be responsible for it.

Write down all the serial numbers of appliances and big-ticket items. I recommend taking photos of everything so that you have a record of your belongings.

They will pack everything and I mean EVERYTHING! They will pack your garbage!! Open containers from the cupboard - my friend found a jar of honey that wasn't capped tightly and a bottle of some other liquid with a loose lid when she unpacked LOL!!

Supervise them. Do not tip the movers. Have plenty of water available for them to drink, as well as a bathroom. If they are there for more than four hours, provide lunch for them. I usually have doughnuts and coffee available in the morning and lunch. They get a lot of pizza and subs; last time I got deli trays of sandwiches, cut fruit and veggies and they LOVED it.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The movers will not pack any candles or stuff with alcohol in it!! I dont know about the alcohol thing because I didnt have any but thats what I was told!! And they just left all my candles!! But they will pack EVERYTHING
  4. Lima Oscar Victor Echo
    Lima Oscar Victor Echo
    The alcohol thing is true....they will not pack it!! They will pack dirty dishes too.....ew. I know someone that unpacked a bottle with milk in it....they PCSed overseas!!! When they drop it off at your duty station, I was told they will not unbox everything unless you ask them!! They will not put stuff away but they will take everything out of the boxes and leave them in piles on the floor and then ask them to take the boxes with them!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    take a few minutes and glean thru this forum there are already tons and tons of threads with this information.

and to add to a PP- they will not pack alcohol containing products- like nail polish and perfume BUT will pack alcoholic beverages like rum and vodka and wine!!! makes no sense but it the truth!
  6. Senior Member
    Thank you! And I did read through the forum just wanted more details. Becuase I am flying to my destination just don't know how to leave things like my wii. And I wasn't really sure how I had to lay out my belongings. I really appreciate all your help!
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrera6 View Post
    Thank you! And I did read through the forum just wanted more details. Becuase I am flying to my destination just don't know how to leave things like my wii. And I wasn't really sure how I had to lay out my belongings. I really appreciate all your help!
    you will have to be there when they pack you, or have someone be there with a POA.

they will pack and repack everything- they are not "allowed" to tape totes and are 'suppose" to use thier boxes. I suggest planning on them packing everything.
    if you live with someone- make sure your stuff is all in one place- with nothing that will stay.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you will have to be there when they pack you, or have someone be there with a POA.

they will pack and repack everything- they are not "allowed" to tape totes and are 'suppose" to use thier boxes. I suggest planning on them packing everything.
    if you live with someone- make sure your stuff is all in one place- with nothing that will stay.
    Yep. That was all my advice.

I'd unpack the stuff you packed personally. Let them pack it and be responsible for it.