Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passports..can we go without them?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Passports..can we go without them?

Advertisements
    My Dh leaves on Jan 12 to baumholder and My girls and I are going to stay with my sister until our passports come in. Has anyone ever gotten to go with their Dh on the same flight WIThOUT passports?? Someone told my Dh If we get the OKAY from his commander at his unit that we can go without them? I told him i didnt think so..so i arranged for me and the girls to live with my sister untill they come in.
  2. Lima Oscar Victor Echo
    Lima Oscar Victor Echo
    will you guys be landing on a U.S. base? I don't know anything about moving overseas but I do know you don't need a passport if your landing on a U.S. base.
  3. Senior Member
    Hmm I don't think you can. But I could be wrong.

4. Nie
    I was not allowed to travel to Germany without my No Fee passport.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nie View Post
    I was not allowed to travel to Germany without my No Fee passport.
    you need the SOFA stamp. status of forces agreement to enter the country. you cant leave without it either so your military passport is really important. one of dh's friends wife tried to leave him one day and fly back to the states but their daughter had a passport but not a SOFA stamp so she couldnt fly back. umm yeah its a crazy thing she tried to do but im just telling you thats how they are about passports and SOFA stamps.
  6. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash029 View Post
    you need the SOFA stamp. status of forces agreement to enter the country. you cant leave without it either so your military passport is really important. one of dh's friends wife tried to leave him one day and fly back to the states but their daughter had a passport but not a SOFA stamp so she couldnt fly back. umm yeah its a crazy thing she tried to do but im just telling you thats how they are about passports and SOFA stamps.
    You get the SOFA stamp when you arrive. You need a passport, however, to enter the country. You have to go through customs, whether you land on a US military base or in a domestic airport.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cav_Scout_Wife View Post
    will you guys be landing on a U.S. base? I don't know anything about moving overseas but I do know you don't need a passport if your landing on a U.S. base.
    Are you sure about that? I think you still have to have a No-Fee Passport and process through customs

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    You get the SOFA stamp when you arrive. You need a passport, however, to enter the country. You have to go through customs, whether you land on a US military base or in a domestic airport.
    Yes to this.

You will most definitely not be able to leave. You have to show your passport both when checking in before you leave the States as well as when you land in the Host Country.

And it is always recommended that you fly on a no-fee passport. No-fee shows that you have authorization to be in that country for an extended amount of time. With a tourist one, you are supposed to only be allowed a certain amount of time.

Also on your flight over, you will be given forms to fill out. There are ones for tourists as well as ones who live in the Host Country. You have to put your passport number on all forms & if you are filling out the one for living in the country, they will need local contact information for where you will be living as well as how long you are supposed to live here. Atleast that is how it is for here in Japan. I've had to fill out the same forms over & over again. I moved here in July & then had to make a trip back to the States last month as well as this month. Each time I had to fill out the forms & show my no-fee passport when leaving Japan as well as in each State as well as re-entering Japan.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    Are you sure about that? I think you still have to have a No-Fee Passport and process through customs
    Even when flying into Yokota Air Base here, people still have to show their No-Fee Passport to show they have authorization to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by armywifex2girls View Post
    Someone told my Dh If we get the OKAY from his commander at his unit that we can go without them?
    As far as I know, that is not true. Even the CO of a base has no control over the rules set up with the Host Nation/Sofa. It is entirely up to the Host Country as to what they will allow or not allow. And most will not allow travel without a no-fee passport & many times you also have to have orders with you. I took our Non-concurrent travel/FEA & orders with us each time I fly just incase. Sometimes they will ask for them & other times they won't. When we moved as well as my trip last month, they asked for Orders & my FEA. This month, they wanted only my military ID & no-fee passport.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  10. Senior Member
    Nope. They are making it so even military members have to have a passport to fly internationally (at least back now). DH's old chief missed his flight home to the states because he tried to fly on orders and ID and Frankfurt wouldn't let him anymore, he needed a passport.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast