Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 6-month PCS

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

A 6-month PCS

Advertisements
    My husband will be PCSing in January to Newport for Department Head school for six months. Our daughter and I will be staying at our current duty station. This is the first time in our 15 years in the Navy that he'll be PCSing without us, and we're so uncertain about BAH, etc. Does anyone know whether he will be entitled to housing pay while we get to maintain our current BAH? We just can't afford six months of housing for him in addition to paying for our mortgage. I'm concerned that since this is a PCS versus TAD/TDY, he will not receive any allowances.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm not sure exactly how it all works so this is more of a bump, but are you allowed to go with him? If you are, then I think they will only give you BAH for one area since it's your decision to live apart.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Pamela* View Post
    I'm not sure exactly how it all works so this is more of a bump, but are you allowed to go with him? If you are, then I think they will only give you BAH for one area since it's your decision to live apart.
    That is what I was thinking.
    But I am not sure if it works differently if the orders are unaccompanied PCS.
  4. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    you will get BAH for where he is at. Unfortunately no seperation pay.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    From what I understand, all schools at Newport are unaccompanied. Check his orders and make sure they say that. If they are, you will continue to receive all allowances for where you are (though I'm pretty much betting that unless you're in San Diego, Hawaii, or a major city, Newport's BAH is higher).
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    You should receive BAH based on HIS duty station.
    No allowances.
    He will probably be able to find a place in the barracks or a similar set up to help with costs, I think.

good luck
  7. Banned
    Banned
    if the PCS is an unaccompanied PCS this is how it works-

he will get BAH for his duty station ( the school location)

they MAY have barracks avaialble- he will need to check- but if there are not he will have to pay to live on the one BAH- they do not get a second one

you will get SEP pay since it is a forced seperation- and this is 250 a month.

HTH's
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyWife15 View Post
    My husband will be PCSing in January to Newport for Department Head school for six months. Our daughter and I will be staying at our current duty station. This is the first time in our 15 years in the Navy that he'll be PCSing without us, and we're so uncertain about BAH, etc. Does anyone know whether he will be entitled to housing pay while we get to maintain our current BAH? We just can't afford six months of housing for him in addition to paying for our mortgage. I'm concerned that since this is a PCS versus TAD/TDY, he will not receive any allowances.
    I will ask my Department Heads and see what information they can provide to me as we just received several from there.

Are you going to his follow on command?
  9. Senior Member
    I don't know for sure with the Navy, but doesn't it all depend on if his orders are accompanied or not? For instance if they are not than they would get the allowances for being separated, the BAH based on where she is etc? That is what we have dealt with for unaccompanied PCS's. And if it is accompanied and they choose not to go everything is based on where he is and no allowances.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    I don't know for sure with the Navy, but doesn't it all depend on if his orders are accompanied or not? For instance if they are not than they would get the allowances for being separated, the BAH based on where she is etc? That is what we have dealt with for unaccompanied PCS's. And if it is accompanied and they choose not to go everything is based on where he is and no allowances.
    This is what I thought, if you CAN'T go because they won't let you, you should receive BAH at the with dependents rate for where you will be living (away from him). He would live in the baracks and if that's not available would normally get BAH at single rate. If you are just opting not to move because its inconvenient you will only get one BAH.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast