Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCS to Germany in a month. HELP!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Nutts PCS to Germany in a month. HELP!

Advertisements
    Hello there all. My name is Michelle and I am so very new to the whole army wife thing. I married my husband in december and he shipped off to bct end of February (while i was 7 months prego) all of that aside, he recently told me in a letter with a lovely little pamphlet that had really no information that we are going to Germany. He is pretty sure its going to be Vilseck, but he didnt have too much information. Nor do I. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and how I am going to make all this happen with him being in AIT right now. With a full time job a 4 month old baby, I have no idea how I am even going to find the time to manage the move. I have ten billion questions and have been researching as much as possible online but am still so unclear on things.

first:
    what is the deal with the efmp? how do i schedule that for my son and i...tricare? and is it true that i cannot be put on his orders until i have that and our passports.

which brings me to the next issue...passports. do i need to have the government issued on and a tourist one that i have to pay for if i want to travel outside of germany? if so, do we pay full price for the personal passports or is that something we can take care of on post as well?

why are some of you talking about you and or your husband being "deferred" what is that and what happens...

I wish there was a step by step guide on how to do this. If anyone would be willing to give me a basic rundown from start to finish on what I should be doing that would be amazing...and what speedbumps to expect.

Another thing I am very worried about it the money situation. I know the Army will reimburse a lot of it, or pay for a lot of it...but how much money is is going to cost me out of pocket to do all of this...even if they reimburse some of it what am i going to need to have available to get over there now?
  2. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    Here is a link to one of the groups on here that can help you with some of your questions.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/groups/oconus-sos.html
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrswoods1202 View Post
    Hello there all. My name is Michelle and I am so very new to the whole army wife thing. I married my husband in december and he shipped off to bct end of February (while i was 7 months prego) all of that aside, he recently told me in a letter with a lovely little pamphlet that had really no information that we are going to Germany. He is pretty sure its going to be Vilseck, but he didnt have too much information. Nor do I. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and how I am going to make all this happen with him being in AIT right now. With a full time job a 4 month old baby, I have no idea how I am even going to find the time to manage the move. I have ten billion questions and have been researching as much as possible online but am still so unclear on things.

first:
    what is the deal with the efmp? how do i schedule that for my son and i...tricare? and is it true that i cannot be put on his orders until i have that and our passports.

which brings me to the next issue...passports. do i need to have the government issued on and a tourist one that i have to pay for if i want to travel outside of germany? if so, do we pay full price for the personal passports or is that something we can take care of on post as well?

why are some of you talking about you and or your husband being "deferred" what is that and what happens...

I wish there was a step by step guide on how to do this. If anyone would be willing to give me a basic rundown from start to finish on what I should be doing that would be amazing...and what speedbumps to expect.

Another thing I am very worried about it the money situation. I know the Army will reimburse a lot of it, or pay for a lot of it...but how much money is is going to cost me out of pocket to do all of this...even if they reimburse some of it what am i going to need to have available to get over there now?

Hi, does he not have any orders at all telling him where he is going? I know he won't have hard copies yet but if he knows he has orders to Germany he should know what base.

OK anyway, if you are near a base you can go there for your screenings to get clearance to move. Both you and your son will need dental, and medical and I am assuming your son is an infant so mental is ok on him but you will need it. If you are not near a base call tricare and ask them what to do. And no you will not get put on his orders til those screenings are done and passed. He can still get the orders just you won't be able to go.

You will get a no fee passport to get you to Germany and it is basically your visa to live there for your length of tour, but to travel I was told you actually had to have a tourist passport and that is out of your own pocket. IF that is indeed fact.

Not sure your concerns money wise on what you mean specifically. The military will move you, they will cover your passports and when you are there your DH gets more money pay wise for being stationed overseas.

There are some amazing German ladies on the board here. Germanchick is obviously one, Uta is another and I know there are more but they are blanking in my mind. Uta has moved from Germany to stateside to Germany a couple times if I remember correctly so you could probably shoot her a pm for some good advice and suggestions.
  4. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Hey I'm in Vilseck, if you have any questions on the post let me know. I'm no expert with the actual move since I did it differently than most, but I'd love to help with the post. PM me anytime.

5. Nie
    Get the EFMP screening done first - it didn't take long for me.

Yes if you want to travel outside of Germany you will need a Tourist passport, you can get it done on base when you apply for your No Fee.

You will not pay for anything for the move if you are command sponsored (hence get the EFMP done)

Being deferred means if your screenings aren't done but your husband has orders - he goes without you. Which is what happened with my husband and I because they kept changing his orders. I joined him two months later after all the paperwork was finally settled. I had to be here in Germany within 90 days of him arriving because of housing.

Anymore questions feel free to ask
  6. glad to be back.
    glad to be back.
    hey. i just moved to vilseck yesterday! so hopefully i can help you out. this is our first pcs, but my dad was in the army, so i was raised as an army brat!

*efmp is a medical screening. they want to make sure that you and your child are healthy and if not, then they want to make sure that you are put on a base that will have the proper care you would need. all you do is call your local clinic on base and tell them that you need to make an appt for an efmp. do it soon though! i know at fort gordon it took awhile to get an appt. also you can go to the tricare office (usually in the clinic) to register yourself and your son.
    yes, they will NOT put you or your son on his orders until they have the evaluation sheet for the efmp.

which brings me to the next issue...passports. do i need to have the government issued one and a tourist one that i have to pay for if i want to travel outside of germany? if so, do we pay full price for the personal passports or is that something we can take care of on post as well?

*for me i had to have an official passport in order for them to give me a ticket with my husband. what i did though, was register for an official passport and went to my local post office (off base) and ordered a tourist passport (which i had to pay for) i did this because, i wanted a tourist passport in order to travel while im here and also because they told me that the official passport would not be in for 8-10 weeks.. (it came in, in less than 3 weeks.. so i ended up with both passports before we left.. but it coming in so soon is not always the case..) they should though let you go with a tourist passport as long as you have applied for the official one.

*i have no clue what this means. lol sorry.

*the army will throw things your way and you just have to go with the flow. it has not been easy getting here, but as long as you are aggressive and persistent and DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER! you will find people who DO NOT want to help you no matter what, but you will also find people who will bend over backwards. so far we have only been here for a day, but everyone is super nice and my husband went to housing today and already got 2 keys to 2 different places to look at.

if possible, the sooner you ship your car the better! you can't ship it though until he has orders..
    if you have any other questions please ask.. like i said... i just got here so i just went through all of this bs while my husband was in AIT.

*they will pay for your official passport, your tickets, shipping your POV, and packing your things.. you will need to save some money because the lodging here is always full.. so you might need to stay at an off post hotel (which they will reimburse you for)
    if you stay on base, they will pay for lodging automatically.. but if you are here for longer then 10 days, you will need to go to housing and get a tla certificate.

tla= temporary lodging allowance (or something like that... lol)

i hope this helps.
  7. glad to be back.
    glad to be back.
    call the kristall inn lodge on vilseck AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Vilseck
    KRISTALL INN
    Rose Bks. Bldg. 275,
    DSN 476-1700/2555
    Civ. (049) 096624-41104
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you guys so much. I did get to go to Ft. Carson and go to the ACS building to day and speak with the relocation people. I did get a ton of info, and I figured out the screening issue. I guess the whole hold up, which I was unaware of, was my husband is supposed to be sending me a 5888 form in order for me to even schedule to get the screening and the passports. my father in law is retired air force and he just happened to run the office that scheduled the screenings so he is going to call in a favor and get the screenings expedited for my son and i. i think i may have a general idea on what i am supposed to be doing, the whole hurry up and wait army mentality is def trying, but it seems like once i can get those forms....FORMS FORMS FORMS. I swear there is a form for everything, but once i get that then it should just be a matter of getting into the screening and getting the passports. moving across the world with the army def tests your patience. thanks for all the help and advice! hope to see some of you in Vilseck!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Have you applied for your no-fee passport yet? I would make that #1 if you have not. It takes a while and they will send your husband alone even if you do not have it yet and you will have to go later.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Well I was told that in order to apply for the no fee passport you need a 5888 form and of course my husband has not even brought that up. so i have no idea when I am supposed to be getting that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast