Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 3 weeks out, NO HARD COPY YET!!!

1. PurpleReign
    PurpleReign

Shock 3 weeks out, NO HARD COPY YET!!!

Advertisements
    DH and I are due to PCS in September, but have not received his hard copy yet. His detailer told him that they will be available any day now, but with less than a month left, how do we pull this together? We haven't packed anything because the movers do that, right? So, we figured, a couple days before, get our clothes and stuff that we are transporting by car (any suggestions?), we will put that together. So, I went online to OneSource to look at the calendar that they give you for things to do each month before the PCS, but they don't customize it for such a short period of time before leaving. What should we be doing right now? Do we just make sure the house is clean before the movers get here and have our stuff that we are taking out of the way?
    Got an Angel watchin' over me, keepin' me from all hurt harm and danger...

-The Clark Sisters
  2. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Wow, seems like this is happening to a lot of people in the navy right now! I'm sorry!

Could you prepare one of those checklists as if it is a few months out and start at the bottom of the list?
  3. PurpleReign
    PurpleReign

Well, the thing is, when you do the calendar, it gives you a 3 month breakdown. Stuff like contacting housing and scheduling for when you shut off utilities, checking kids out of school...stuff like that. I am trying to figure out when to do what. For instance, school here starts on the 18th, but where we are going, it starts a couple of weeks later. Would you put the kids in school for 2 weeks just to take them out, or would you just keep them at home until they start at the new duty station (about 2-3 weeks)?

-The Clark Sisters
  4. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRain View Post
    Well, the thing is, when you do the calendar, it gives you a 3 month breakdown. Stuff like contacting housing and scheduling for when you shut off utilities, checking kids out of school...stuff like that. I am trying to figure out when to do what. For instance, school here starts on the 18th, but where we are going, it starts a couple of weeks later. Would you put the kids in school for 2 weeks just to take them out, or would you just keep them at home until they start at the new duty station (about 2-3 weeks)?
    I would keep them at home- I wouldn't want to start them in school for 2 weeks and then rip them out- they'll be having to transition to enough changes as it is. Then again you would probably be able to get more done during the days to prepare for the move if they were in school.

Let housing know now though- we had to pay for a partial month because we didn't let them know in advance.

Will your new duty station be far away? We waited and waited for our orders and now we're going to have to pick a new location because the original move was going to cost too much (and a couple of people on here mention the same thing happening to them). Hopefully the hold up on yours is not for a similar reason. It's really, really frustrating having to get things taken care of without being given what you need.
  5. PurpleReign
    PurpleReign

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I would keep them at home- I wouldn't want to start them in school for 2 weeks and then rip them out- they'll be having to transition to enough changes as it is. Then again you would probably be able to get more done during the days to prepare for the move if they were in school.

Let housing know now though- we had to pay for a partial month because we didn't let them know in advance.

Will your new duty station be far away? We waited and waited for our orders and now we're going to have to pick a new location because the original move was going to cost too much (and a couple of people on here mention the same thing happening to them). Hopefully the hold up on yours is not for a similar reason. It's really, really frustrating having to get things taken care of without being given what you need.
    Yeah, that is what DH and I were thinking. Putting them in school would give us some free time to get things done..BUUUTTTT keeping them out would avoid too much transition on them. We may keep them out until it's time to leave.

We contacted housing and they told us that as long as he has something like an email showing how we JUST got notice of our orders (which DH does), then they will waive the prorated rent. DH has been keeping in contact with his detailer and was told that "any day now", he will be able to get the hard copy. Maybe it's my impatience with such a short period of time to work with. This is our first PCS together since we have been married. We have stayed here for 2 tours, so this will be interesting.
    The reason for holding up his orders was the budgeting thing at first, but we are only going 3 hours away from where we are now, so that really isn't an issue.

-The Clark Sisters
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think this is common with the Navy because of the lack of funds earlier in the year that caused orders to be backlogged.......now they are telling people they can PCS and orders seem to be coming out slow.

Anyway I wouldn't enroll my kids in school for two weeks if you know you are moving......in hawaii school started, but i didn't enroll my kids because we are moving next monday....it made no sense to run out, buy all the supplies and put them in school for two weeks when they don't start at their new school until the 24th.

I would get everything ready to PCS....purge your stuff, clean up etc and then when the orders come in you'll be ready.
  7. PurpleReign
    PurpleReign

Quote Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
    I think this is common with the Navy because of the lack of funds earlier in the year that caused orders to be backlogged.......now they are telling people they can PCS and orders seem to be coming out slow.

Anyway I wouldn't enroll my kids in school for two weeks if you know you are moving......in hawaii school started, but i didn't enroll my kids because we are moving next monday....it made no sense to run out, buy all the supplies and put them in school for two weeks when they don't start at their new school until the 24th.

I would get everything ready to PCS....purge your stuff, clean up etc and then when the orders come in you'll be ready.
    You know, I wasn't thinking about it like that...I mean..the supplies thing. I know the school he goes to now would require us to buy certain things that they may not use at his next school, such as an Agenda Book. We would have to buy locks and p.e. clothes. I guess that makes a LOT of sense. Thank you both!

-The Clark Sisters