Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First PCS - moving separately

1. Junior Member

First PCS - moving separately

Advertisements
    DH reported to his first duty station in May. I am not moving til December cause I need to finish up school. So, we did not move "household goods". He just drove down -- he got his per diem and reimbursement for hotel and all that. My questions are...

When I move in Dec, will the Army pay to move out household goods since we haven't claimed a "move" yet??

Will I get reimbursed for mileage and hotel or am I SOL? (he drove down his truck, now I'll be driving down my car)

I've just assumed we are SOL for DLA (which is PAINFUL...could REALLY REALLY use that money) since I know DLA for the first PCS is only authorized if you move with dependents...well, he is movnig with dependents...I am just coming a bit later! Like I said though, I've already just assumed we won't get it...but boy it would be nice to get it.
    Jess, proud Army Wife to Jeff!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JessL85 View Post
    DH reported to his first duty station in May. I am not moving til December cause I need to finish up school. So, we did not move "household goods". He just drove down -- he got his per diem and reimbursement for hotel and all that. My questions are...

When I move in Dec, will the Army pay to move out household goods since we haven't claimed a "move" yet??

Will I get reimbursed for mileage and hotel or am I SOL? (he drove down his truck, now I'll be driving down my car)

I've just assumed we are SOL for DLA (which is PAINFUL...could REALLY REALLY use that money) since I know DLA for the first PCS is only authorized if you move with dependents...well, he is movnig with dependents...I am just coming a bit later! Like I said though, I've already just assumed we won't get it...but boy it would be nice to get it.
    you can travel seperately and still get most of the allowances-

you will get per diem at 109 a day for each day of authorised travel plus the 24 cents a mile.

you actually can get the DLA - if he applied for DLA before he left- and recieved any it would have been for the single rate- you can apply for the difference before or after you move.

they will move your HHG's like normal.

the only thing you will not get is TLE at the new duty station- but you can have the 5 days at the old duty station.

HTH's
  3. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you can travel seperately and still get most of the allowances-

you will get per diem at 109 a day for each day of authorised travel plus the 24 cents a mile.

you actually can get the DLA - if he applied for DLA before he left- and recieved any it would have been for the single rate- you can apply for the difference before or after you move.

they will move your HHG's like normal.

the only thing you will not get is TLE at the new duty station- but you can have the 5 days at the old duty station.

HTH's
    It does help for the most part, except this is his first PCS, so the w/o dependent rate for DLA isn't an option since DLA only applies for first PCS if dependents move as well...so I didn't know if they'd still give it to him since I'm not moving til later. Also, he certainly didn't apply for it before he left since he was at OSUT and they never said anything about it. He is going to see if he can ask somewhere at his post to see if they now!
    Jess, proud Army Wife to Jeff!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    you should be able to get it- it does say the family has to travel all together- just that the dependents PCS on orders-

it is a nice chunk of change-

I moved before DH- I left in july he did not get there until the end of Aug- we got DLA.

it works both ways- you are moving on orders- just later.
  5. Senior Member
    my husband has been stationed at Ft. Benning for several years, and we just got married in April. Since he was deploying right after the wedding, I had to move alone. I just filed the move in his name (power of attorney helped). The army did everything, I never saw a moving bill.

You may call your next duty station and see if there is an office that takes care of stuff like that.