Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Move entitlements (overseas to overseas)

1. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed

Move entitlements (overseas to overseas)

Advertisements
    We're PCSing from Hawaii to Alaska sometime this fall. My husband is on deployment, will be sent back to Hawaii to get our things shipped (although we're still waiting on our hard copy orders even though we're less than 60 days out), then will be going to a school for about a month before he's set to report at his new duty station. (We have all the dates, just not the hard copies.)

Anyway, we haven't been able to do a whole lot of research because we haven't had a time frame until just now. Does anyone know what the entitlements are when moving? Particularly a move from and to an overseas location?

I guess the military will ship one vehicle? Do they reimburse any of the costs for the second? It looks like it's going to cost at least a couple of thousand to ship my car (just over $1000 to ship it to Washington, I haven't had a quote for shipping from Washington to Alaska). My husband said we'll get DLA and per diem, although I'm not sure how much or for how long. I've just been looking at the numbers recently and it looks like it's going to cost us several thousand dollars between shipping our car and buying what we'll need to live in a new environment...and I'm wondering what, if any, assistance will be given. Sorry, I've never done this before...we were in Hawaii for 5 years and I basically just packed a couple of suitcases with me- so I have no idea what to expect. TIA.
  2. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    No, the military won't cover costs for second car but you can claim it on your taxes as a move expense. You will get DLA and he can ask for that in advance and you will get per diem based on the authorized proceed time for travel from here to Alaska. Keep your receipts for everything so whatever isn't covered by the military you can claim on your taxes.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  3. there is no place like home
    there is no place like home

This maybe silly. But have you thought about asking about driving there? Like have one car shipped by military and then the other say shipped to Washington and then pick it up and drive it to help cut the cost? Where in Alaska are you going? Hope you can get some answers soon to help you out.

4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I don't think the military even pays for a second car if you are moving CONUS to CONUS. Sorry!

Ninja Edit To Correct Above Statement: You do get reimbursed mileage for two vehicles CONUS to CONUS. However, you do not get reimbursed if you drive one car and ship another CONUS to CONUS. They will pay the mileage for the one car, but not for shipping of the second.
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    From http://www.army.com/travel/moving-101.html

Personally Owned Vehicle (POV)

One POV by you or your family member may be shipped at government expense overseas. It must, however, be for you or your family member's personal use only. If you desire to make your own arrangements and ship an additional POV, consult your Transportation Office for any restrictions which may apply. You may be required to pay an import duty on a second POV. At the option of the member shipping a vehicle overseas, a motorcycle or moped may be considered a POV if the member does not ship a vehicle with four or more wheels under the same set of military orders. A vehicle under a long-term lease (12 months or longer) may be shipped if you obtain written permission from the leasing company.

The POV should be delivered to the port prior to the departure of the personnel on whose orders the shipment is to be made. This includes dependent travel authorizations when no POV has been previously shipped on the sponsor's orders. Member must have a minimum 12 months remaining on overseas tour at the time the vehicle is delivered to loading port. If a military spouse delivers the vehicle to the loading port they must have a Special Power of Attorney.

Shipping one car

The government will pay to ship one car to some destinations. At some locations, no cars are allowed. When allowed, the shipment is complex and requires a lot of paperwork. The government refers to your car as a "POV" or privately owned vehicle.

* Limitations. The government will ship a typical family car, but may not ship your large RV, or even a large truck with a heavy camper shell. There are weight restrictions as well as restrictions on certain types of vehicles.
    * Modified vehicles. Low riders, lift kits, upgraded speakers, and other non-factory modifications must meet special regulations to be shipped. Check "Shipping Your POV" for more information.
    * Time limits. There are strict time limits governing how late after your departure or before your return your car can be shipped. These limits vary by branch.
    * Weight. Don't plan on moving extra household goods in your car. There are strict regulations on what may be placed in the car as well as weight limits on the vehicle.
    * Licensing Depending on the country or state of your new home, you may have only a short time to license your vehicle after you arrive. Be aware of the regulations.
    * Buying a car at your destination If you are a two-car family, you may choose to buy a car after you arrive OCONUS. Be aware that some vehicles in foreign countries -- even those made by American companies -- may not be legal to drive when you return to the U.S. Customs can impound these illegal cars and destroy them without reimbursing you.

From http://usmilitary.about.com/od/trave...tlements_2.htm

TRANSPORTATION OF PRIVATELY OWNED VEHICLES (POV). Military members can ship POVs in conjunction with many overseas assignments (and, of course, can ship them back to the CONUS, upon completion of the assignment). The military services can apply restrictions on this entitlement. For example, for assignments to Korea, military members must be "command sponsored" (allowed to be accompanied by family members), or must be in the grade of E-7 or above, in order to ship a vehicle.

Members may also be authorized shipment for a replacement POV during any 4-year period, while assigned overseas.

Members are also authorized mileage reimbursement when driving the vehicle to the authorized port for shipment, and when picking up the vehicle from the authorized receiving port.

There is only limited authority for POV shipment within CONUS. Shipment within the CONUS is authorized only when medically unable to drive, homeport change, or not enough time to drive.

The legal authority for POV shipment is 10 USC 2634(h), 10 USC 2634, and 37 USC 406(h).
  6. Senior Member
    Yes as Sally said, they do not pay for 2 vehicles to be shipped.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    AHHH!! I just need to correct first and foremost-

Alaska is the only mixed mode travel allowable-

So OP- here is the Skinny on a move from HI to AK-
    we are CG BUT ALL JFTR rules apply to all branches ( just so we are clear)

this is what you need to do-

you will have to pay to ship one of the vehicles- I suggest looking at allowing the military to pay for the most expensive one- HI to AK-
    then you pay to ship the other one to WA- and then you can drive your car and get per diem and MALT -

but they will not reimburse for OCONUS to OCONUS second POV shipments-

as for the money to buy clothes- they do not- that is what the COLA is for-
    they will however supply your DH with foul weather gear at his new unit.

we went from Miami to Kodiak- and I hit up yard sales, thrift stores and LL bean-

I got the things I had to have- boots, good jackets, flannel PJ's socks and thermal underwear, and then got the rest after I got there-
    rain boots, gloves, hats all that can be gotten at walmart and other stores in AK.

you could also avoid the long drive from WA to AK by shipping both vehicles straight to AK.
    you will not get MALT or Per diem, but will still get the DLA.
  8. JK
    Ditto on writing any moving expenses off on your taxes. This includes getting your car detailed (cleaned) for shipment, shipping expenses, cost of mileage in getting your car from the base/post to the drop-off port, mailing items to yourself (including cost of boxes and tape), etc. Anything you would not normally purchase or expense you would incur if you were not moving. Clothing would not be covered, but keep the receipts for everything else, it adds up fast!
  9. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We'll be in Anchorage- my husband will be recruiting there. We won't know for sure exactly which of the two locations in Anchorage he'll be at until he is finished with school though.

I don't think claiming moving expenses on my taxes would really accomplish anything- it just reduces our taxable income, right? We haven't had to pay any taxes because since I've been in school, we've been living on one income and paying for my tuition, my daughter's preschool, etc. I'll keep track of big purchases though just in case, thanks for the heads up.

I've DONE the drive from Washington to Alaska- actually, from Texas to Alaska- and back. But this was in the summer, in an RV (we're in New Mexico on our way back now). There are quite a few miles in between towns, especially in Northern British Columbia and the Yukon. Most travelers are traveling with an RV, although I did see some hotels (I wasn't really paying attention). Gas is outrageous though (over $1 or so a liter), so 15-20 cents a mile reimbursement wouldn't even begin to start covering the costs. Plus, I have a three year old and the drive would be incredibly long for her (unless my husband went on his own). So, I'll be shipping my car from Hawaii to Washington and then to Alaska. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Do we only get per diem if we drive, or do we get that also to help us when we're trying to get settled in and looking for a house?
  10. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    We'll be in Anchorage- my husband will be recruiting there. We won't know for sure exactly which of the two locations in Anchorage he'll be at until he is finished with school though.

I don't think claiming moving expenses on my taxes would really accomplish anything- it just reduces our taxable income, right? We haven't had to pay any taxes because since I've been in school, we've been living on one income and paying for my tuition, my daughter's preschool, etc. I'll keep track of big purchases though just in case, thanks for the heads up.

I've DONE the drive from Washington to Alaska- actually, from Texas to Alaska- and back. But this was in the summer, in an RV (we're in New Mexico on our way back now). There are quite a few miles in between towns, especially in Northern British Columbia and the Yukon. Most travelers are traveling with an RV, although I did see some hotels (I wasn't really paying attention). Gas is outrageous though (over $1 or so a liter), so 15-20 cents a mile reimbursement wouldn't even begin to start covering the costs. Plus, I have a three year old and the drive would be incredibly long for her (unless my husband went on his own). So, I'll be shipping my car from Hawaii to Washington and then to Alaska. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Do we only get per diem if we drive, or do we get that also to help us when we're trying to get settled in and looking for a house?
    Its better than nothing. When it comes to tax time everything helps. Good luck,

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast