Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance with on-base housing

1. One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.
    One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.

Insurance with on-base housing

Advertisements
    This is our first house together and we're both pretty clueless. When DH signed the papers today for our on-base house, they said we should get insurance. If the house were to burn down we'd owe the Air Force $120,000 for a replacement house. Should we look into home owner's insurance or renter's insurance?

Are we considered renters or owners?
  2. Senior Member
    Renters... We always have had renters insurance... its worth it and not very expensive. We have ours through USAA.
  3. Senior Member
    Check into it with what ever you have your car insurance through. They usually give you a bit of a break on your car insurance if you do it that way. I suggest USAA. I really enjoy working with them!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Renters. We only pay like, $10 a month for ours through USAA.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You would need renter's, but you should not be responsible for the house. They base housing if PPV or still Military should have insurance for the structure and you would only need to cover your things. I would double check with them because they only time I have ever heard of someone owning $120,000 is if they set the fire on purpose, not if it is an accident.
  6. One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.
    One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.
    Thanks ladies! I kinda figured we were just renting the place but I wasn't sure how the insurance stuff worked

I will definitely check out USAA, I know DH has his car insurance with them.
    ?
    Definitely USAA. We have EVERYTHING through them. We get a great car insurance discount for having renters with them too, so it was pretty much free to add renters.
    ~Amanda~
    Wife to Dakota (6.25.2007)
    Mom to Reagan (9.10.2008)
    Mom to Liam (11.6.2009)
    Due with #3 December 21st
    Missing Our Three Angels (February 2010, March 2010, May 2010-twin)
  8. ~M*A*R*I*E~
    ~M*A*R*I*E~
    You shouldn't be liable for the damages of a burned down house, EXCEPT if YOU started the fire on purpose. KWIM? but renter's insurance would definitely help out. You should insure your belongings and priced possessions, in case such thing should happen! (now do I have renter's insurance? nope cause i'm that I'm lazy )
    NO MORE TICKER! THE LOVE OF MY LIFE IS HOME FOR GOOD
  9. Senior Member
    Not only should you not be responsible for the home if it were to burn, that is not what renter's ins. is for. It is my understanding that renter's ins. covers the costs of your property. We had it while we were in military housing. USAA is the best def. call them.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  10. there is no place like home
    there is no place like home

All renter's insurance is personal property and liability for anything that happens at your place. Say someone is over and is on a ladder and falls, the liability helps out if they decide to come after y'all for medical damages. It's always good to have renters insurance if you are renting due it covers everything in your house from fire, theft and also say someone broke into your car and took your laptop, ipod, cell phone, etc, its covered under renters/homeowners not auto insurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast