Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Change of homeport question...

1. Senior Member

Change of homeport question...

Advertisements
    Our boat is doing a Change of Homeport. We were told that if you drive your own vehicle, you'll get travel money & the military will pay to fly your husband back to the boat after he's done moving you to the new station.

If you ask for airline tickets instead of driving, then you have to pay for your husbands airline ticket back to the old duty station after he helps you move into the new station.

Doesn't this sound crazy?? So they are making us buy an airline ticket out of pocket and we didn't even get travel pay (except for the DLA- which went to shipping my car and stuff).

Anyone know about this?
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I am guessing it is to try and save them money, it probably costs less to drive then to fly.

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykay View Post
    I am guessing it is to try and save them money, it probably costs less to drive then to fly.
    nope it costs more to drive, it's a cross country drive. From Cali to Maine. lol
  4. Banned
    Banned
    sounds about right- it is a weird 'exception' to the rules.
  5. JK

Move..

Hi, I think the mis-information here is the phrase "help your family move" which is not what the Navy is known for. We changed homeport from San Diego to Sasebo, Japan, so I understand. Once the ship left SD, we could go ahead to Japan by ourselves (with kids and pets of course), or wait until the ship got there.

I'm sure you know your two choices are
    1. stay behind, pack by yourself, and wait until the sailor gets things set up at the new duty station, or
    2. have help packing out, then go ahead yourself

My suggestion would be to find another family to travel with, then there's another adult you can depend on if need be. I would also ship the car and fly. Maybe if you travel with another family, you can ship one of your cars ahead, so when you all get there, you can pick it up.

Hope this helps. Your situation sounds just like ours did!
    ~ Jane