Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Shipment is Here!

1. Senior Member

Shipment is Here!

Advertisements
    I just found out that our shipment is coming tomorrow!! This is my first move and DH won't be here to help me with all the stuff.

Can someone please give me some insight on how to handle the movers so my stuff is not just thrown in random places? I know to tell them to unpack and take the boxes, but other than that I'm lost.

Any tips will help soooo much
  2. JK

Unpacking

We've moved 9 times...some without DH. My advice: if you have kids, try to dump...I mean place them......with someone else.
    When the movers get to your house/apt. Take them on a tour...making sure they're all paying attention...Put a large piece of paper on each room door. Bedroom 1, bedroom 2, living room, etc. It may seem obvious to you, but not always to them, trust me. You stand at the ONLY entry allowed, front door, garage door, or whatever and check off the boxes as they come in and tell them which room to put them in. Know where you want your furniture--don't just let them dump your couch and bed anywhere, they will place it down once and not move it, so don't wear yourself out later, just pre-plan where it will go. Make them unpack as much as possible. Kitchenwares use a lot of paper, so they will unpack it onto the counter and tables, not put it in the cupboards. You can unload some dishpacks yourself quickly while they're putting the beds together. I can get through about 3 dishpacks per bed. Just load up the cupboards, you'll have time to properly put it away later. Make them take the empty boxes and paper with them, don't bite for the line "we'll send someone by later to pick it up", they don't always come back, some do. Make them put the hang-up clothes on your bed after they've put it together. Other clothing items you may not want them touching....if you know what I mean. It'll be a bit of a mess, but it really is easier to sort through. Make them take the paper and padding off of the furniture, tv, etc. DO NOT waive the unpacking.

They have to put furniture together, our kitchen table, beds, futon, etc. all get disassembled by the movers and must be re-built by them. It's in their contract.

Lastly, have a camera in your pocket at all times. Take pictures of broken items or damaged (either your items or the house/apt.) with them present. It goes a long way when making the claims later.

And another last thing....try to have a fridge of cokes, water, etc. available for them. They'll appreciate it.....which means they may be a bit more careful.
    Hope this helps. Remember it's your stuff!!!! They may be tired at the end of the day, but no matter how long it takes, they have to completely fulfill your unpacking and puttting together requests! Good luck! Jane
  3. Senior Member
    Thanks for the reply, the movers left a while ago and I've been busy putting everything away. It went smoothly, but they did try to leave without unpacking - stopped them right in their tracks. No way was I going to deal with having all those boxes left here!