Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with housing!! Eglin AFB

1. Nikolai is here!!
    Nikolai is here!!

Help with housing!! Eglin AFB

Advertisements
    Ok so I know I need to call and put us on the waiting list for base housing. What I dont know is how far ahead I can do that. Nor do I know what housing to look for since I have never seen them. I tried looking on line and only found layouts. But while looking for pictures I came across privatized housing. So here are the three questions.

When can I put myself on the base housing list?, What is privatized housing? and Does anyone at Eglin have a suggestion for which housing I should go for?
    Gearing up for deployment #2
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It can be hard to find pictures online of housing - not all housing areas have pictures.

You can't get put on the housing wait list until you've moved with your orders. Privatized housing is housing that's managed by a private company, vs the government as it used to be. Good luck!

I don't know anything about Eglin AFB, sorry. Hopefully someone else can help with that

Miranda, mama to Ricky (12), Simon (5), Charlie (2), & Kevin (9)

3. Senior Member
    I know that majority of their housing is actually on base(if not all of it). There is also housing in between Hurlburt and Eglin but I think that is mainly for Hurlburt people. We got put on the housing list here about 4 months, you need to at leased have paper orders to be able to be put on the list(again I think).
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

On most bases now housing is privatized, which basically means that a company, not the military owns it. There is no difference with the BAH and that, except that you have to sign a form allowing the housing company to take the money out of his paycheck. They should still give you 2 options (if there are 2 available), but you have to actually put your name on the list in person and will need orders to do that. Just be prepared that there may be a wait.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casadorra View Post
    Ok so I know I need to call and put us on the waiting list for base housing. What I dont know is how far ahead I can do that. Nor do I know what housing to look for since I have never seen them. I tried looking on line and only found layouts. But while looking for pictures I came across privatized housing. So here are the three questions.

When can I put myself on the base housing list?, What is privatized housing? and Does anyone at Eglin have a suggestion for which housing I should go for?
    AF bases you can't get on the list until 30 days before you are to be at said base. So say you are to be there July 31, you can send the application in July 1st. Or you can send it early but they will not put you on the list until 30 days before.

Also with AF housing is you don't choose areas. You get there and when you are number one on the list, they call you and show you what they have available. They are suppose to show you 2 different floor plans. Like they show you one and if you don't like it they are suppose to show you a second one (different floor plan if available). If you don't take that one they are allowed to put you at the bottom of the list.

Privatized is a private owned company that runs housing. I am not sure if Eglin is privatized. I hate privatized housing.
  6. Member
    Hey girl here's a link for Eglin housing. I'm looking up information for you about how soon you can be put on the list, and asking around what the best housing is and what you should request. I will be back soon with some answers. (I hope) http://www.eglin.af.mil/housing_priv...ID=5663&page=1
    This siggy is under construction....
    Join Youdata!!! http://www.youdata.com/join/pixiegirl8505
  7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    AF bases you can't get on the list until 30 days before you are to be at said base. So say you are to be there July 31, you can send the application in July 1st. Or you can send it early but they will not put you on the list until 30 days before.

Also with AF housing is you don't choose areas. You get there and when you are number one on the list, they call you and show you what they have available. They are suppose to show you 2 different floor plans. Like they show you one and if you don't like it they are suppose to show you a second one (different floor plan if available). If you don't take that one they are allowed to put you at the bottom of the list.Privatized is a private owned company that runs housing. I am not sure if Eglin is privatized. I hate privatized housing.
    This information is not correct in regards to Eglin AFB. They have several different type of housing and they have lists for each type of housing you put yourself on one list and they offer the house type you requested.

DH and I wanted the newer housing... It took us 8 months from the time we got married to be at the top of the list they didn't offer us any other house but new housing.

Eglin is in the process of being privatized at this time.
  8. Member
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    We just moved here to Eglin.

Our housing office would only submit our housing application on the day we separated from our old base, no earlier. I went in and filled it out a week before that but they would not fax it until the day we left.

When we got here we had no wait for a house. We only needed a 2-bedroom, though. We were given keys to go choose a house right away and then just had to wait a few days for them to finish replacing the carpet and doing some maintenance work.

Hidden Oaks is the new 2-BR housing and that is what we chose. It's really nice, IMO. Lots of closet and storage space, big garage, nice layout, really fancy compared to what we thought we would get. The older 2BR housing--at least the two houses we were shown--was in pretty bad shape. Hidden Oaks is on base and is not privatized yet. The housing has all been redesignated so there is no enlisted/officer housing.

Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions, maybe I can find out for you!
  10. Senior Member

i'm not sure what to tell you about the privatized housing because when we lived on eglin, it wasn't that way. but that was 4 years ago. they've long since torn down the housing we lived in...they demolished a lot of housing in there to rebuild. we put ourselves on the housing list as soon as we got there and got a house that day...but it was just the hubs and me at the time and they had so many houses in the neighborhood at that time. i'd call up there and see about what you qualify for and get your name started on the list.

the housing between hurlburt and eglin (commando village) is for hurlburt personnel...which is fairly decent housing. we lived there right before we moved away for about 8 months. soundside housing by hurlburt is also for hurlburt personnel. my hubby was stationed at hurlburt but we were placed at eglin for our first house because they didn't have availability so you will prob. live next to people that work for both bases.

PM if you wanna know about the area or anything...we just moved about two weeks ago...but we lived there for 4 years.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast