Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justice of the Peace Marriage?

1. Banned
    Banned

Justice of the Peace Marriage?

Advertisements
    I'm sorry if this is the incorrect place to post this thread, but I'm not sure where to put it exactly this might be tough to understand, so let me apologize ahead of time!

*breathes*

Now, I know branches are different, but military is military, so maybe some of the same rules will apply..

Ok, so my DB is at BMT now.. He finishes in a couple weeks and goes straight to Tech School for 11 months at Sheppards AFB in Texas. He'll be gone until next July. We have the informal marriage proposal down, so technically I'm engaged (just without the ring). He wanted to make it official when he got back from Tech School.
    However, I'm not sure if the military is going to put him on a base right away after he finishes Tech. If that is the case, he won't get to come home so we can get the proposal down. The proposal isn't a big deal to me, I just want to marry him.

This brings the problem of me not being a dependant when he gets to his 1st base, which I know causes big time frustration for me moving in with him and I don't know if he's ever granted leave to come get married. Should we just get a Justice of the Peace marriage and have a real wedding later? How soon would you recommend doing that? We don't have any time between now and tech school and i'm unaware of how much time we'll have between tech school and his base assignment.

I'm in college- which is another headache, depending on where his base is located and the fact that I'm in Virginia for college. But if we're legally married asap, I get his benefits for college and stuff and then it'll be easier when I graduate to move in and get everything adjusted. But if we wait until I graduate to get married, I've heard it's really hard because I wasn't in his orders so it's tough getting everything worked out.

I hope that made SOME sort of sense. Advice would be incredibly appreciated. lol. i dont know what to do!!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    you need to be married before his orders from tech school are issued- if you wait until after orders are ISSUED you will not get a funded move-

so your choice is to wait or get married while he is in tech school on a week end if you can visit.
    so you should do it then- while he is in tech school before his first PCS orders are issued.

BUT I have a difference of oppinion about doing both a JOP and then spending all that money for a ceremoney that IMO is unneccessary and expensive.....
    I would do just the JOP- then later after you both get settled in your forst PCS location have a big reception- then plan a 5 or 10 yr vow renewal .
  3. Banned
    Banned
    if you wait until after orders are ISSUED you will not get a funded move
    Ok...new to this. What exactly is a funded move? Military paying for me to go to his base?
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovin'_My_Airman View Post
    Ok...new to this. What exactly is a funded move? Military paying for me to go to his base?
    yes. a gov funded move is where they pay for you to get your HHG's ( household goods) car and yourself to the new duty station.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    yes. a gov funded move is where they pay for you to get your HHG's ( household goods) car and yourself to the new duty station.
    Would it be unwise to just wait and go through the whole ordeal of doing it myself?
  6. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    personally, i am curious 1) how long you have been together and 2) based on that info, i would say that marriage isn't something to rush into just to get benefits etc... if he wants to do a formal proposal after tech school (which i understand to be july 2010), let him do that. then you can plan whatever kind of wedding you want, JOP vs. traditional-- finish college, get married and go from there. moving yourself to where ever he's stationed isn't that big a deal (at least IMO) to the point where i'd completely rush around trying to get married just to avoid it.

then again... our situations couldn't be any more different, so you can take what i said with a grain (or a bucket-load) of salt

www.SnarkyFit.com
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    personally, i am curious 1) how long you have been together and 2) based on that info, i would say that marriage isn't something to rush into just to get benefits etc... if he wants to do a formal proposal after tech school (which i understand to be july 2010), let him do that. then you can plan whatever kind of wedding you want, JOP vs. traditional-- finish college, get married and go from there. moving yourself to where ever he's stationed isn't that big a deal (at least IMO) to the point where i'd completely rush around trying to get married just to avoid it.

then again... our situations couldn't be any more different, so you can take what i said with a grain (or a bucket-load) of salt
    It's not something I'm rushing into in order to get benefits. I'm trying to look at long term, as to whether or not it would be more convenient for him to get married sooner rather than later. He is the kind of person who would elope in Vegas with Elvis as the preacher. I was the one who wanted a formal proposal and traditional wedding. But at this point, I'm just ready to be with him. My worry with waiting for the wedding is the fact that I don't know where he'll be after Tech and with me being in college (or even after), it may prove difficult trying to get everything with a wedding together.
    We've been together almost a year.
  8. Senior Member
    It really doesn't matter military wise.

You should get married when you two want to get married, live together, and start your life together. The military will catch up the paperwork when that happens.

If you get married before his orders to his first base are issued (which is in Tech School) then the military will pay to move your things as well as his to the first duty location. If you marry later then you will have to move your things, considering you are a college student I would venture a guess you don't have a whole house to move so that isn't a huge concern.

There is paperwork, and a process whenever you get married. One way isn't really easier than the other, just diffrent. I would plan when you want to get married, how you want to.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovin'_My_Airman View Post
    Would it be unwise to just wait and go through the whole ordeal of doing it myself?
    IMO no it would not be unwise at all.

it just depends on what you want-

and what is more important.
  10. Senior Member
    Also, he could fill his dream sheet (list of bases he would like to be stationed at) with all VA Air Force bases, and still get a base no where near it. Being married or not will have no bearing on that, at all.

If he doesn't already have VA bases on his dream sheet, and wants them. The ones he can add are: Langley AFB (newport news, VA) Andrews AFB (Maryland), Boling AFB (washington, DC), The Pentagon (washington, DC) Then close but not in VA: Pope AFB (north carolina), Shaw AFB (south carolina), Dover AFB (Deleware)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast