Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: They are not paying for our move?

  1. Old Newbie
    marinesgirlf0401's Avatar
    marinesgirlf0401 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Camp lejeune, nc
    Posts
    25
    #1

    They are not paying for our move?

    Advertisements
    DH just told me that he was talking to his sgt. and he told them they would not pay for our move to his first duty station even though I am on his orders. When he joined back in July 2008 we werent married so apparently this is why they wont pay for us to move. Has this happened to anyone else?? I dont know what we are going to do.
  2. Account Closed
    J.Ski's Avatar
    J.Ski is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8,962
    #2
    DH and I weren't married when he joined and they paid for our first move.
  3. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    sweetvanity's Avatar
    sweetvanity is offline
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9,370
    #3
    it was my understanding that the Navy (and perhaps the Marines) do not pay for you to move/report to your first duty station. at least that was what we were told... also, i believe the Dept of the Navy ran out of funds to relocate people.

    www.SnarkyFit.com
  4. Old Newbie
    marinesgirlf0401's Avatar
    marinesgirlf0401 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Camp lejeune, nc
    Posts
    25
    #4
    well i was posting earlier to get info and everyone kept saying he should be getting breifs and have a gaining sponsor, but he doesnt. We are moving July 15th and I asked him to ask the sgt something. Thats what he told him. I dont know what to do, I think it seems strange that I am on his orders even to move there with him and they will not pay for it. All I know is that we dont have the money to move us and put down a deposit and have time for me to find a job and still be able to pay all of our bills. I should have started saving earlier. I just thought they would move us.
  5. Senior Member
    Saigon's Avatar
    Saigon is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16,584
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by marinesgirlf0401 View Post
    well i was posting earlier to get info and everyone kept saying he should be getting breifs and have a gaining sponsor, but he doesnt. We are moving July 15th and I asked him to ask the sgt something. Thats what he told him. I dont know what to do, I think it seems strange that I am on his orders even to move there with him and they will not pay for it. All I know is that we dont have the money to move us and put down a deposit and have time for me to find a job and still be able to pay all of our bills. I should have started saving earlier. I just thought they would move us.
    This is what happens to a lot of new couples. First off, the military never (at least in my understanding) pays for you to get an apartment. Thats your responsibility to find and secure housing if it is off-base. You are responsible for all security deposits, connection fees, etc.

    Secondly, I'm not surprised that they are not paying for the move. You can contact your branch's aid society and ask for a loan. Or apply for a loan from a bank.

    Did he have his possessions shipped to his AIT from his HOR?

    When did you get married? When did he enlist?

  6. Old Newbie
    marinesgirlf0401's Avatar
    marinesgirlf0401 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Camp lejeune, nc
    Posts
    25
    #6
    I emailed the housing office and they said DH can set up the setaside program and all deposits will be waived on offbase housing and they will give us a letter to present to the landlord or companies. They will also help us find an apt or whatever. This is what they told me. And that our BAH will go up from what it is now. He joined in July 2008 and we got married March 2009. Before his orders were cut and everything. I am on his orders so i duno what to do
  7. Senior Member
    itchywitch's Avatar
    itchywitch is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Twentynine Palms
    Posts
    2,735
    #7
    is his HOR near you? They wont move your stuff, but the will move his stuff from his HOR. At least thats how it worked for us. Dagans parents is like 10 mins from my house, and we did a dity and said that everything was his, and they paid to move the stuff.


    No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  8. Senior Member
    itchywitch's Avatar
    itchywitch is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Twentynine Palms
    Posts
    2,735
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by marinesgirlf0401 View Post
    I emailed the housing office and they said DH can set up the setaside program and all deposits will be waived on offbase housing and they will give us a letter to present to the landlord or companies. They will also help us find an apt or whatever. This is what they told me. And that our BAH will go up from what it is now. He joined in July 2008 and we got married March 2009. Before his orders were cut and everything. I am on his orders so i duno what to do
    There are only certain places in Lejeune that do the set aside program, not all the places do that. The places that do usually have a waiting list of some sort.


    No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  9. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #9
    ok who ever told your DH this is lying out his/her ASS!!

    this is absolutely positively untrue and they will pay for you to move from whereever you are to the first duty station.

    you will be elegible for ALL PCS entitlements including DLA:

    I am going to cut and paste the regulations - which NO branch has any say in since it is done by seperate commitee-

    I will also tell you where to find it on your own so you can print it off- walk down to ONLY and I mean ONLY to the TMO office and tell them to set up the move- then walk over to the finance office and demand they submit the paperwork for the move.

    the website is
    http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html

    you will go here to chapter 5 part C:
    here is the official verbage.
    U5201 BASIC AUTHORIZATION
    A. General
    *1. A member is authorized dependent PCS travel and transportation allowances (except as indicated in par.
    U5201-B) for travel between points authorized in this Volume. Unless otherwise specified in this Part, the
    authorization conditions in Part B apply. Except for travel by mixed modes under par. U5105-E, PCS travel
    and transportation allowances for a dependent are:
    a. Transportation-in-kind (see par. U5105-D) plus per diem (see par. U5210); or
    b. Reimbursement for common carrier transportation procured at personal expense (see par. U5105-C) plus
    per diem (see par. U5210); or
    c. MALT (see par. U5105-B) for POC travel, plus per diem (see par. U5210) for the required travel days
    between authorized points, NTE the allowable travel time computed under par. U3005-C.
    2. POC use for PCS travel, other than transoceanic, is to the Gov’t’s advantage. If a member elects not to move
    a dependent when authorized, the dependent travel and transportation allowances for a still-eligible dependent
    are payable incident to a subsequent PCS NTE the greatest of the distances to the new PDS from the:
    a. HOR or PLEAD (unless moved to the HOR or PLEAD ICW a move to ‘another location’ IAW par.
    U5218); or
    b. Designated place; or
    c. PDS from which the member elected not to move the dependent; or
    d. Last PDS.
    Any interim PCSs, for which a member did not claim dependent travel and transportation allowances, are ignored.
  10. Old Newbie
    marinesgirlf0401's Avatar
    marinesgirlf0401 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Camp lejeune, nc
    Posts
    25
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    ok who ever told your DH this is lying out his/her ASS!!

    this is absolutely positively untrue and they will pay for you to move from whereever you are to the first duty station.

    you will be elegible for ALL PCS entitlements including DLA:

    I am going to cut and paste the regulations - which NO branch has any say in since it is done by seperate commitee-

    I will also tell you where to find it on your own so you can print it off- walk down to ONLY and I mean ONLY to the TMO office and tell them to set up the move- then walk over to the finance office and demand they submit the paperwork for the move.

    the website is
    http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html

    you will go here to chapter 5 part C:
    here is the official verbage.
    U5201 BASIC AUTHORIZATION
    A. General
    *1. A member is authorized dependent PCS travel and transportation allowances (except as indicated in par.
    U5201-B) for travel between points authorized in this Volume. Unless otherwise specified in this Part, the
    authorization conditions in Part B apply. Except for travel by mixed modes under par. U5105-E, PCS travel
    and transportation allowances for a dependent are:
    a. Transportation-in-kind (see par. U5105-D) plus per diem (see par. U5210); or
    b. Reimbursement for common carrier transportation procured at personal expense (see par. U5105-C) plus
    per diem (see par. U5210); or
    c. MALT (see par. U5105-B) for POC travel, plus per diem (see par. U5210) for the required travel days
    between authorized points, NTE the allowable travel time computed under par. U3005-C.
    2. POC use for PCS travel, other than transoceanic, is to the Govítís advantage. If a member elects not to move
    a dependent when authorized, the dependent travel and transportation allowances for a still-eligible dependent
    are payable incident to a subsequent PCS NTE the greatest of the distances to the new PDS from the:
    a. HOR or PLEAD (unless moved to the HOR or PLEAD ICW a move to Ďanother locationí IAW par.
    U5218); or
    b. Designated place; or
    c. PDS from which the member elected not to move the dependent; or
    d. Last PDS.
    Any interim PCSs, for which a member did not claim dependent travel and transportation allowances, are ignored.
    Thank you so muCH!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •