Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far in advance

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

How far in advance

Advertisements
    How far in advance do you start planning your move? We're moving at the end of October or beginning of November and I feel like I should be doing something to prepare, I just don't know what! I've only moved once, we did a DITY and we moved into military housing so it was relatively trouble-free. This time we have to find our own place and arrange everything ourselves, and I have no idea what I should be doing at this point. Any advice?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I'm the WORST person to ask, I usually wait for the last minute and then throw everything into boxes/bags and throw the rest away. So, are you are moving yourself? No movers?
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennypage View Post
    I'm the WORST person to ask, I usually wait for the last minute and then throw everything into boxes/bags and throw the rest away. So, are you are moving yourself? No movers?
    That's pretty much what we did when we moved here because I was busy being pregnant and having a baby up til the last minute!

This particular move is especially strange because it's only for 5 months or less and the military won't pay for it. They will, however, pay for us to keep our stuff in storage here and the BAH rate for Goodfellow, which is where we're moving. That means we'll probably be driving the smallest possible U-Haul with mattresses and a couch and TV and computers, or shoving all the electronics in the car and renting a furnished place. No movers.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Well then I suppose you could start packing things you plan on storing, and packing stuff you don't use at all right now. Also, seperating things you do/don't need. Thats probably what I'd do.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I think we're going to end up making about 22 Goodwill dropoffs before we move, so that's a really good idea! Thanks Jenny
  6. ...
    I started packing a few weeks ago for our move in August. (were doing the move our self. well actually with another couple that are moving to Lejeune the exact same time as us) Our apartment looks like a tornado came through. Boxes are everywhere (that makes the kitten happy) random crap is everywhere, we have probably close to a hundred things that are going to Goodwill so far.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We start by packing stuff we aren't using. In Arizona we packed up all of our winter coats, and winter clothing because we were moving in the spring. Start collecting boxes NOW, surf freecycle, craigslist, see if you have any new neighbors and ask for theirs, liquor stores, etc. Paying for boxes in a pain if you don't have too. Urm.. donate or pack up any of your little mans stuff that he doesn't use anymore. We really start to downsize a few months before we move, get rid of old clothes, curtains I'll never use again.. etc. Basically start to organize now then slowly start packing before you move, a box a week at first, then two boxes, then steadily increase from there.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm moving end of July, thanks to cambrie's advice
    I've been donating what I don't ever use to good will, shredding old papers that I don't need, etc...
    I just started packing, I've started with like big winter coats, certain clothes, certain books etc... Stuff I won't be needing until way after I move.
    It makes me feel better to be starting now, like I'm a step closer to being with DF
    I figure it'll be way easier the more I am able to pack now
    [/URL]
    You're My Wife Select. You've been approved for the position you just have to go through the ceremony
  9. Senior Member
    Well, it wouldn't hurt, since you will be out in town living, to start fact finding about what area you want to live in. Are you going to rent or buy? If you will buy a place, you can get a realtor now and start considering places. Then in a month or so go look and potentially get a contract. You can also work on this now if you are going to rent. I wouldn't pack yet, but you could do the Goodwill thing, or even have a killer yardsale. Have you logged onto Smartmoveweb and gotten that process started. I think you can do that as soon as you have orders.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If you need boxes let me know... I still have a ton from our move here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast