Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawaii Ladies

1. Junior Member

Hawaii Ladies

Advertisements
    We are getting ready to PCS to Hawaii. Someone on here said they would never recommend living off post...why? We want to very much and because it's just two of our our BAH would definetly be enough...also we are not really all that concerned about having a lot of space. We are looking at two bedrooms on Ewa Beach and they look fine for us. Why do people say post is better in Hawaii and why does no one recommend off post?

Also, which bases do not take all of your BAH if you live on? Just Shafter?
    [CENTER]"Be curious, not judgemental." -- Walt Whitman
  2. Senior Member
    Well, Ill give you the reasons WE didnt want to live off base.
    With our BAH, a decent 2 bedroom place, that allowed animals, and was relatively close to Kbay, wasn't anywhere to be found. I think base housing is, for the most part, a lot better and worth the money than anything you will find out in town.
    And the only housing that I personally know of, that doesnt take ALL of your BAH is 802 housing on kbay.
    We didnt pay too much attention to places it Ewa because it was jus too far, but ive heard and seen that there are decent places there, but no clue how much rent is.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    First, if you have children, then my best bet is to live on base to accommodate your living expectations.
    Second, if it is just you and your husband, (with/ without pets), then I would say, live off base. Some residential accepts pets. Just ask!

For instance, DH and I live in downtown Honolulu, in one of the condo, and our preference is not pet, so we were fortunate.
  4. Junior Member
    What's KBay? I hear that a lot but don't know what it is. Ewa Beach is pretty cheap which is why we're lookign there. Is that close to Wheeler?
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    What's KBay? I hear that a lot but don't know what it is. Ewa Beach is pretty cheap which is why we're lookign there. Is that close to Wheeler?
    K-Bay is Kaneohe Bay. It is actually Kaneohe Marine Corps Base of Hawaii (KMCBH).
  6. Senior Member
    Kbay is Kaneohe Bay...where the Marine Corps base is.
    and yes, im pretty sure Ewa is near wheeler...we hardly ever went down that way.
  7. Junior Member
    Oh okay. If you choose to live on post how much BAH do you get to keep?
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I just PM'd. Hope you don't mind.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Oh okay. If you choose to live on post how much BAH do you get to keep?

ETA:

BAH depends on your husband's rank.

Not sure.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'd live on of off depending on the neighborhood.

Ewa beach is not near wheeler army air field.....i mean you are closer than say kaneohe bay, but the road that leads out of ewa beach can be a nightmare.

wheeler is more in the middle of the island. ewa beach is on the west side sort of and south and HOT......ewa is hot. and depending on where you are in ewa it can be a bad neighborhood along with waipahu and other areas out there.

if you live on post you forfeit your bah for the house.....in most cases. I live in 802 which is a small neighborhood on the marine corps base and we all pay the same rent to live here regardless of rank. however it's going away in the next couple of years and will become a tradtional housing area.

I think alot of people have a hard time finding areas that take pets although it's not horrible.

pm me if you want......we've lived here 12 years and have lived on and off base........
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast