Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: truck weighing??

1. For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    Blog Entries

truck weighing??

Advertisements
    Im not sure if anyone can help me but I figured Id ask anyways.

My DH and I are doing our first move. We are headed to Ft. Drum. Long story short, we have to move ourselves. A DITY move I guess is whats its called.
    Anyways, he was told by transportation that we have to get the official weight of the truck completly empty and completly full. How do we do this and where do we do this?? If it helps we are using a budget rental truck.

DH-"Your are so much more than my wife to me. You are my best friend, my map when I am lost, my light when I am in the dark, and you are the keeper of my heart. We are in every moment together, even if it is for a split second. I love you with all my heart and I will always love you more and more every day."
  2. I will treat you like a queen and take you to burger king
    I will treat you like a queen and take you to burger king
    i don't know about the weight of the truck before but when we moved from WA to NY we did a DITY move. We loaded all our stuff in the truck then took it to a truck stop where they weigh moving trucks and stuff and had it weighed.

3. Senior Member
    Find truck scales in your area, weigh it empty (void of gas etc.) and have that certified, fill it up with your stuff and full tank of gas then weigh again and have that certified, get to your duty station and once your unpacked weigh it empty again.
  4. For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Find truck scales in your area, weigh it empty (void of gas etc.) and have that certified, fill it up with your stuff and full tank of gas then weigh again and have that certified, get to your duty station and once your unpacked weigh it empty again.
    So I guess we have to drive it around when we get it to void the gas?? We dont have too much time... we get it the day befroe we have to leave for NY.

DH-"Your are so much more than my wife to me. You are my best friend, my map when I am lost, my light when I am in the dark, and you are the keeper of my heart. We are in every moment together, even if it is for a split second. I love you with all my heart and I will always love you more and more every day."
  5. For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    Blog Entries
    When you weigh it full, does that include weighing it with the person who will be driving it in the truck??

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texaslullaby View Post
    So I guess we have to drive it around when we get it to void the gas?? We dont have too much time... we get it the day befroe we have to leave for NY.
    You can weigh it with gas, but you want to make sure on the other end it's the same amount of gas or you throw off your weights. KWIM? We have always used our own vehicle when we did DITY moves so that is just what we have done..
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texaslullaby View Post
    When you weigh it full, does that include weighing it with the person who will be driving it in the truck??

That includes the driver, passenger, dogs, cats, fish, birds, anything you are taking in that vehicle on the PCS.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    That includes the driver, passenger, dogs, cats, fish, birds, anything you are taking in that vehicle on the PCS.
    this is in correct- no one can be in the vehicle, dogs, cats and other pets cannot be weighed - they ARE NOT HHGS!!!

you only need to weigh it empty and full once-

you do not need to have a low fuel tank it will not make enough of a difference to counter the trouble of driving it around and the spending the money to fill it again.

you should however weigh it empty and full Prior to departure- if there is a fire or theft they will not pay you for ANY wieght- they will only reimburse for actual expenses.

HTH's
  9. Senior Member
    You only have to weigh it once? DH was saying he had to do it 3 times with his last DTY... like 12 years ago, lol. We're planning a DTY for our next PCS so I always stalk these. But I did get a funny picture of trying to pack fish into a car.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ask the Budget rental where a weigh station is. Weigh it empty, and then weight it again after you pack up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast