Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help with Moving over seas with special needs children

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

Confused Help with Moving over seas with special needs children

Advertisements
    Hi well i am stuck, we are out processing and going to Kadena AFB in Japan, my three year old is a special needs child and has an IEP, i am wondering if they would be able to accommodate his needs or will we be moved some where else.

I am just lost, i have also started the paperwork for out processing.
    *Fly Free*
  2. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Im guessing that you will do the EFMP paperwork ( if you havent done so already) and that will need to get approved to see if they can meet his needs over there. Thats what they do anytime someone goes overseas, well I know in the Army they do.

I had to go through EFMP just to make sure they could accomodate my general anxiety disorder.
  3. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    If they approve the EMFP, you will be good to go. If they don't approve, you will not be approved to go overseas and possibly your spouse will do an unaccompanied tour.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    If they approve the EMFP, you will be good to go. If they don't approve, you will not be approved to go overseas and possibly your spouse will do an unaccompanied tour.
    Yup. It all depend on the base and the facilities they will be able to provide to help your son.
  5. Senior Member
    I doubt you'll get sponsorship... we had friends get denied Kadena for asthma. The quicker you get the paperwork done the easier it will be for him to get a different assignment though. The Air Force is usually pretty good about not making people go unaccompanied unless they want to in this kind of situation.
  6. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    I have already started the paperwork, Ive been thinking that we will get denied sponsorship since he does have other needs. It wouldnt be such a big deal if we got denied, I dont want to go over seas any way.
    *Fly Free*
  7. Senior Member
    Hi! I am here right now at Kadena AFB.
    When you out process, you and all your children will have to fill out a questionare and be seen by a dr to approve you coming over here. They started me off at a special needs office just to rule that out first. Just, seriously, get it done ASAP!! I found out I was pregnant about 4 weeks before we left. I actually wasn't supposed to come over here if I was high risk and they wouldn't give me an appt to see if I was. You're going to have to stay on top of them.
    The hospital here on Camp Lester (or is it Foster, I always get them confused ) is really really good. They actually care about you so if you are worried about having to take your child there (if that's where he needs to go sometimes) don't worry
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    I doubt you'll get sponsorship... we had friends get denied Kadena for asthma. The quicker you get the paperwork done the easier it will be for him to get a different assignment though. The Air Force is usually pretty good about not making people go unaccompanied unless they want to in this kind of situation.
    I didn't think they would let people over with asthma. I was asked 3 or 4 times by every dr. I saw if I had asthma.
    This isn't a big island and there is only one hospital on the Marine base. Maybe it will all work out in your best interest since you don't want to go. If I had known it was going to be like this I wouldn't have came either. I would have stayed in the US where I could go to school. Good luck though!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash029 View Post
    I didn't think they would let people over with asthma. I was asked 3 or 4 times by every dr. I saw if I had asthma.
    This isn't a big island and there is only one hospital on the Marine base. Maybe it will all work out in your best interest since you don't want to go. If I had known it was going to be like this I wouldn't have came either. I would have stayed in the US where I could go to school. Good luck though!
    They don't usually let people over with asthma... Well some people do and some people don't, depends on the case I guess. We had a chiefs wife who had epilepsy and they couldn't get the UK but got Aviano and Spangdahlem. EFMP makes no sense to me sometimes.

DH would love to get Japan, I wouldn't mind it, but we've heard I have to be 5 years past cancer.