Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm moving to Goose Creek and need advice

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Help I'm moving to Goose Creek and need advice

Advertisements
    Looks like my long distance will be at an end by July 29th...
    After getting a clean bill of health from the doctor today, and talking to admissions at Columbia I am gonna be able to move in with DF right after his power school graduation.
    He has been approved and has been given a move in date
    for a town house http://www.devonpointeapts.com/floorplan.asp?plan=t3
    and will be moving in shortly before I arrive.

What would be the best way to transport our stuff from the Bay Area, Ca to Goose Creek, SC ?
    DF wants to rent a uhaul truck, load everything, and do a cross country trip. Which could be fun, but we are 20 years old, and I don't think uhaul will rent to us.

Any suggestion?
    Any companies you have trusted to move your stuff in the past?
    Also and moving and packing tips? I've only moved once in my life time and it was only to a city 20 minutes away from where I lived before... so I'm a little clueless

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by NavyKat; 06-11-2009 at 12:14 AM.
    [/URL]
    You're My Wife Select. You've been approved for the position you just have to go through the ceremony
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

[/URL]
    You're My Wife Select. You've been approved for the position you just have to go through the ceremony
  3. Senior Member
    If you are going to pack and move yourself, Penske is much cheaper than uhaul.

BTW, congrats on coming to the end of your distance apart!
    Needs work.
  4. Senior Member
    I'm not sure if they would rent to you, but it's at least worth calling. You never know until you ask. A friend of mine went from OH to AZ right after college in a Uhaul and was only 21.

There are other companies like Uhaul to check into as well - Penske, Budget, Enterprise come to mind. As for other rental trucks I'm sure you can find tons in the yellow pages. Sorry, I can't really help with moving companies.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I mailed all my stuff thru UPS. ALOT CHEAPER THAN UHAUL. They are really expensive. I've sent HUGE boxes thru UPS around 70lbs each, ive prob sent around 10 boxes and cost me around $500-$600 (ball park).
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you ladies
    Keep the advice coming, I need it
    [/URL]
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisCupcake View Post
    I mailed all my stuff thru UPS. ALOT CHEAPER THAN UHAUL. They are really expensive. I've sent HUGE boxes thru UPS around 70lbs each, ive prob sent around 10 boxes and cost me around $500-$600 (ball park).
    Did you buy insurance?
    How long did it take to ship everything?
    [/URL]
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Packing a moving yourself will definitely be cheaper than having a mover do it.

You shouldn't have a problem renting a uhaul or penske truck at 20, especially if your DF does it since he's military. My husband rented Uhauls starting at 19 without any issue. I made a move from California to Massachusetts with my ex husband when I was 17. We did it in 3 days if you have any furniture or large items to move I'd definitely rent a truck and not mail things, it can get pricey that way. With a truck you wont have to leave anything behind.

Packing tips.. start packing NOW. Pack boxes tightly so things don't rattle around and organize them by items and rooms to make unpacking easier .

If you have any more questions about the area or anything else feel free to PM me Those townhomes are probably 5 - 10 minutes way from where I live
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

I also have another possible option for you. I'll shoot you a PM
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    Packing a moving yourself will definitely be cheaper than having a mover do it.

You shouldn't have a problem renting a uhaul or penske truck at 20, especially if your DF does it since he's military. My husband rented Uhauls starting at 19 without any issue. I made a move from California to Massachusetts with my ex husband when I was 17. We did it in 3 days if you have any furniture or large items to move I'd definitely rent a truck and not mail things, it can get pricey that way. With a truck you wont have to leave anything behind.

Packing tips.. start packing NOW. Pack boxes tightly so things don't rattle around and organize them by items and rooms to make unpacking easier .

If you have any more questions about the area or anything else feel free to PM me Those townhomes are probably 5 - 10 minutes way from where I live
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
    You have no idea how much you have helped me
    When I get out there, if you need a babysitter just call.
    It's the least I can do after all you have helped me with.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
    [/URL]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast