Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Whibey Island- Do you like it?

1. ~M*A*R*I*E~
    ~M*A*R*I*E~

Whibey Island- Do you like it?

Advertisements
    Hi Everyone,
    Well, we are up for orders. We are in Lemoore,ca currently and there is a chance that we may be able to try to get orders out of here. We were looking at some areas and this particular island is one of the few that would work for my DH's job description (he's an AO) Anyways, I'm curious to know what it's like up there? is the weather nice? does it rain all year round like i hear ? is there humidity? if so, how bad ? (i'm from florida and i hated it there) do they have a lot to offer for activity? How's the school system? Is it more expensive than central california to live up there? What are the prices of homes on average for a 3 bedroom (we are looking to buy later on). Any advice, complaints, anything that would help us make a good decision would be great! Thank you soooooooo very much!
    NO MORE TICKER! THE LOVE OF MY LIFE IS HOME FOR GOOD
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My Aunt and Uncle live on Whibey Island (non military) And they love it. They moved from Chicago and they love how peaceful it is. I've never been on base, but the little town area I went to was cute, but not much was going on. I went for Thanksgiving this year, and the weather was fine.

There's a pretty cheap shuttle to and from the airport, and the ferry ride over was really fun. So it's not too difficult to get to the main land.

Both of my cousins are in college so I can't tell you much about the school system, sorry I'm no help!

Basically if you're looking for a quiet escape that's a little removed from the world, I'd say go for it. Because it's freakin GORGEOUS.
  3. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    It's gorgeous up there.
  4. Live&Learn
    Live&Learn
    I live there. I grew up in Stockton, so I have some-what of an idea of where you are coming from. The weather is very mild. Very few homes have air conditioning, so that gives you an idea of how cool the summers are. The winters can be windy and snowy (but the snow doesn't usually last too long). Temps go from 40-60 most of the time. It doesn't rain that much, but it is cloudy most of the year. The town is very safe. Lots of outdoor activities (farmers markets, beaches, hiking, beautiful parks), but not too much shopping without driving at least 40 minutes off the island. I don't know about the school systems because I don't have kids. Living here is a bit cheaper then central California. We live in a 3 bedroom/2 1/2 bath home that was built in '05. Houses around us sell for around $260,000.

PM me if you have more questions.
  5. ~M*A*R*I*E~
    ~M*A*R*I*E~
    thanks for the replies! WELL, what about housing? is it easy to get into up there?
    i hear that the beach is there but how hot can it get during the summer if AC units are not needed?
  6. ~M*A*R*I*E~
    ~M*A*R*I*E~
    Quote Originally Posted by andrea View Post
    I live there.

PM me if you have more questions.
    Thanks! I sure will!
  7. Junior Member
    My husband is already up there and he really likes it so far, I am just waiting for housing before I move up there. I was up there about 3 weeks ago and looked at the housing and it is pretty nice. I have never lived in housing, so this is my first experience with it. When we signed up they told us it was going to be 6 months and we have been on the list for almost 3 months.