Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: first time moving

1. Senior Member

Question first time moving

Advertisements
    quick question...this is my first time moving, therefore first time having the army move us. is there anything in specific that they won't/can't pack?
  2. Junior Member
    I think it differs for each moving company. We are moving with mayflower and they told us no chemicals, aerosols (spray cans) or anything liquid, explosive.
  3. JK

nothing hazardous

Movers in general won't pack anything hazardous, like the last post said, aerosol cans (includes hairspray), paint, nail polish removers, etc. Packing tips are: if you have bottles of wine/alcohol, many won't move it if it is "wine", if it is "cooking items" they'll move it. Still carting around wine we got in Germany 7 years ago, through 3 moves. I would pre-pack certain personal items. Your medicine cabinet/personal bathroom items I would put in a rubbermaid bin or ziploc baggie together, craft items, christmas decorations, etc. should go in a rubbermaid bin with like items. Anything you don't want in 5 different boxes, neeeds to be in a closable bin. The movers DO NOT have to remove items from the bins, they can just tape them up, or put a piece of paper around them and tape them. Removing items from the bins into separate boxes will just increase your weight total. If you have something odd-sized (I have a custom hanging quilt rack), have them make a box for you, don't let them just throw a nasty dirty blanket over it. Don't hesitate to watch over them like a hawk and make them repack something you're not comfortable they packed correctly.

Sorry this is so long, can you tell we've moved 9 times (three overseas) in 17 years? They say they won't insure something if you've packed it, that's a load of you-know-what. You have every right to wrap up ornaments, vases, etc. and put them in the bins, or set them aside to be wrapped extra carefully.

Lastly, ziploc baggies are your best friend when moving. Double baggie lotions, cooking spices, etc. and have the movers pack them.

Hope this helps, the first move is an eye-opener, but stand your ground, it's your stuff!!! I always tell the movers, " I know you think some of this is just crap (referring to crafts and kids' toys), but it's my crap and I love it."
    Good Luck!! Jane
  4. Senior Member
    thank you for responding. that helped a lot. i honestly didnt know what exactly to do with that stuff. i'm so used to doing everything myself. when i moved down to ft hood with my husband, i packed everything. so having someone do it for me is totally new. thanks again.