Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Some very basic questions

1. Member

Confused Some very basic questions

Advertisements
    DH will be graduating from AIT at the end of July and then we will be doing our first PCS move. We don't have orders yet and I realize it is different if the orders are for overseas. I have some basic questions and would also love to hear about anyone else's experience with their move after AIT. I have heard the move to the first duty station is different

Do they come over before the move to see how much stuff you have? Or is the day of the move the first time?

I know they do not move liquid, or candles. What else don't they move? Would they move baby wipes? (I buy them in bulk)

How long is your stuff apart from you (I'm sure this depends, but in your experience) ?

Do you pack anything or leave it just as is (clothes hanging in the closet ect.)

I share a house with my brother so I was thinking about having all of my stuff in the garage when it is time to move so there isn't any confusion. Sound like a good idea?

I am sure as I get orders and the time gets closer I will have lots more questions. Thank you for any tips and advice you may have!
    DH ~ I did inventory, you have my heart, Killy has my DNA, and the army has my body.
    Wifey to Fashionista

2. Senior Member
    It might be different from you, but we just did our first PCS a couple weeks ago.

I was living with family, so we moved all of our stuff into the garage and basement. (We got kitchen table washer machine grill etc as wedding presents and had nowhere to put them) We left whatever was in our bedroom there. They packed everything. There was no problem with having our stuff in the garage and basement, we just had to show them what was ours and what not to take.

They came and did a weight estimate about a week before they got our stuff.

Not sure about the rest of the questions, but it went a lot more smooth than I thought it would. Try not to stress, I did a lot of extra stressing that wasnt needed.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Wife View Post
    DH will be graduating from AIT at the end of July and then we will be doing our first PCS move. We don't have orders yet and I realize it is different if the orders are for overseas. I have some basic questions and would also love to hear about anyone else's experience with their move after AIT. I have heard the move to the first duty station is different

Do they come over before the move to see how much stuff you have? Or is the day of the move the first time?

I know they do not move liquid, or candles. What else don't they move? Would they move baby wipes? (I buy them in bulk)

How long is your stuff apart from you (I'm sure this depends, but in your experience) ?

Do you pack anything or leave it just as is (clothes hanging in the closet ect.)

I share a house with my brother so I was thinking about having all of my stuff in the garage when it is time to move so there isn't any confusion. Sound like a good idea?

I am sure as I get orders and the time gets closer I will have lots more questions. Thank you for any tips and advice you may have!

they will come do a walk thru- they will need to estimate for boxes and packing material

they will not move anything flamable, no batteries, lighter fliud, gasoline ect, yes they will pack baby wipes

as for how long- depends on where you are going- can be a few days to a month unless it is overseas and it can be up to 6-8 weeks

no- do not pack anything- they will most likely repack everything you pack

yes seperating into a garage is a great idea

there are lots of threads on this subject, you should take a few minutes and read thru them for tons of information!
  4. Senior Member
    Well we got overseas, unfortunately so it may be a little different for us but i'll answer.

They didn't do a survey of our furniture. My husband told them in the breif how much stuff we had but they wrote down EVERYTHING wrong so the crates were all screwed up. The movers couldn't give us an estimate on if we went over our limit or not either so do some research.

If you are moving overseas, the wipes will go bad (dry) by the time you get to your duty station. It is taking our furniture 4 months to get here.

OCONUS they give you 2 months as an "guarantee date" but that's a lie. Our fast shipment was supposed to be 3-4 weeks and it's taking 8 so I'm only assuming our slow is going to take twice as long too, it's not even logged in the system yet and it's already been 2 months. You'll get some incredibly stylish loaner governemnt furniture in the meantime though

Make the movers pack EVERYTHING! I had to watch the lazy asses moving our stuff because they didn't want to unpack anything and repack and it was just thrown in a box. if they don't pack it they label it self pack and they are not liable for damages.

We put all our stuff in a storage unit, I was living in TX at the time anyway and our stuff was in FL. They will only pick it up from one location though.

You should be able to check his vMPF and get your station. As far as orders go, those took FOREVER. I was having problems with an apt and had to see an attorney because of it and he pulled rank of the dumbasses in the office and made them cut it, otherwise i dont know how long it would have been for us. PCSing sucks, esepcially your first cuz you don't know what is going on!