Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Great Lakes?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Great Lakes?

Advertisements
    I had a question about moving to Great Lakes. What are the hours like. DH heard that they work 12 hour days. He was looking to be an instructor at GM school. What towns are around there for housing.
  2. I Tide n Go Sticked Myself
    I Tide n Go Sticked Myself
    Me Minnesota him somewhere in Afghanistan
    Blog Entries
    It depends on where you want to be. Im Minnesota Duluth is nice, Its a bigger city, with the twin ports and Superior WI right over the bridge. Theres also Two Harbors, Grand Rapids, Scanlon, Cloquet, and several others. PM me if you want to know anything about the area along Lake Superior.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm sorry I meant by the navy base Great Lakes in IL.
  4. Senior Member
    We are in great lakes but my hubby is a RDC, His hours are hahahaha wack. 4am to 10 pm. If your looking for military housing there is forrestal, ft sheridan(but i think thats for E7 and up) there there is halsey(sp?). But I do believe they are puttin most people in forrestal.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The hours depend on what your Dh is going to be doing. If he is going to NTC than normal business hours, with rotating duty. If he is going to be an RDC, than like some have said it is nuts when they are pushing. But I think you said GM school, than his hours should not be that bad. My DH just did four yrs at RTC, but was a small arms instructor, and had great hours.

As far a housing, there is usually housing open but Great Lakes is not in the greatest area. I am from this area and I would live in Vernon Hills, Libertyville, Lake Forest, Gurnee, and others have very good schools but are going to cost more. Housing has just build new single family homes in Forrestal and the Elem school is good, but Middle and High School are not good. So kinda depends on if you need schools, or just you and the DH, than I would go with housing.

I am from the area and we bought a house in Lindenhurst, right next to Gurnee and have rented it. PM me if you have any other questions.

PS I used to work for the PPV company so I know what most of the homes and what they look like and I think I have most of their floorplans somewhere! Good Luck