Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Visa/Passport

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Visa/Passport

Advertisements
    DH and I are being stationed in RAF Lakenheath, UK and one of his friends that's also going told him today that he has to pay $390 to get me a temporary visa. Does the military reimburse you for that? Do you know of any other big fees like that that we have to pay? I'm just starting to stress out about it because if the military doesn't pay us back, that's a huge portion of our paycheck and we have so many other bills to pay.
  2. Epic
    Epic

Yes the military does reimburse for the VISA. Are you bringing a pet? If so that is another huge expense that isn't reimbursable. Don't forget that your husband can also apply for DLA which will help off set some of the out of pocket costs for the PCS. DH and I always try to have at least $10,000 in our PCS account when it comes time to PCS because it seems expenses pop up everywhere, especially if you plan to live off base.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thank you! I was so worried about them not reimbursing it. We do have a cat. I know we have to get special vet appointments for her to get clearance but they haven't told us anything else yet and my DH is just not asking questions (which is pretty infuriating I might add). What is a DLA?
  4. Senior Member
    DLA is dislocation allowance, you will get it everytime you PCS. He should get a check list of how exactly to go about your command sponsorship, it should have been included with his assignment information.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Make sure you keep every receipt you get. They will reimburse you for the visa payment. Your husband can request for partial DLA to help with the expenses and when you get there they will give the rest of it.
  6. JK

Reimbursement on taxes

If the military does not directly reimburse you for an expense, then you can write it off on your taxes under "moving expense." Every time we move, we keep our receipts of things the military won't pay you for (pet kenneling and transport fees, cost of appts for overseas exam for pets, cost of shipping boxes to yourself, costs of making copies of school transcripts, DR records, etc.). These are things that you would not have normally bought or done if you were not moving. It's line 26 of the IRS form 1040. They really add up.