Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to use?

1. Senior Member

what to use?

Advertisements
    DH and i just got married 3 weeks ago today. he is deployed right now and DD and I will be moving to Hawaii at the end of the year after he gets back. I know its still months away but i was wondering what is the best way to pack up our stuff. Should i use boxes or or like the big plastic tubs? I have some tubs already filled up with stuff and I was thinkin of getting some more unless i should use boxes instead. And if anyone has any advice on moving please tell me i could use it!

2. Senior Member
    Is he already stationed in Hawaii? If not then if your on his form 2 then the military will move you. I would suggest boxes anyways, with tons of tape.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimly View Post
    Is he already stationed in Hawaii? If not then if your on his form 2 then the military will move you. I would suggest boxes anyways, with tons of tape.
    yes he is stationed in hawaii already. also where could i get a bunch of boxes?

4. Senior Member
    Boxes are best. With lots of tape. I bought boxes for our last move. I looked in the phone book and found places that sell boxes. We're a family of 4 and I only spent $100 on new boxes, packing paper (you'll TONS of this for the kind of move you'll be doing) and tape. One of the places I bought from was having a big sale on bundles of boxes.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    ok to thread jack a minute:

have you been command sponsored yet? have you done the over seas screenings yet?

have you asked how and if they will pay to move you and pay for your travel ?

if not you should make sure this is all done before planning to move- command sponosrship can take from 1-3 months to get approved, he needs to ammend his orders to accompanied- and he needs to be sure he has more than 12 months left in HI for them to pay for your move ( if they will).
    just so you know- and if you have already done that then disregard everything I said
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    ok to thread jack a minute:

have you been command sponsored yet? have you done the over seas screenings yet?

have you asked how and if they will pay to move you and pay for your travel ?

if not you should make sure this is all done before planning to move- command sponosrship can take from 1-3 months to get approved, he needs to ammend his orders to accompanied- and he needs to be sure he has more than 12 months left in HI for them to pay for your move ( if they will).
    just so you know- and if you have already done that then disregard everything I said
    i have no idea if ive been sommand sponsored and dont think ive done over seas screening either. and i have no idea if DH asked if they will pay for us to he had said something about that happening but i dont know if he did anything to know for sure. he has more than 12 months left there. and they are shutting down email right now so i cant email him to ask if hes done any of that yet. but thanks for the info and i will for sure ask him all about it the next time i can communicate with him.

7. Senior Member
    and i have stuff that ive had packed up even before i knew i was moving and they are in big tubs. should i end up moving all that stuff into boxes when we move or just keep that stuff in the tubs and just pack everything else in boxes?

8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by navygf75 View Post
    and i have stuff that ive had packed up even before i knew i was moving and they are in big tubs. should i end up moving all that stuff into boxes when we move or just keep that stuff in the tubs and just pack everything else in boxes?
    if the military is going to move you they will repack everything - if they do not they will not be responsible for any loss or damage ( you want them to repack!!)
    so really you should wait to find out if you will moving yourself or if the military will be doing it to save yourself a ton of time and trouble!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    if the military is going to move you they will repack everything - if they do not they will not be responsible for any loss or damage ( you want them to repack!!)
    so really you should wait to find out if you will moving yourself or if the military will be doing it to save yourself a ton of time and trouble!
    ok got it! should i at least pack up clothes when it gets closer or will they repack that too? also the only furniture i have that will move is my daughters bed....its a metal bed frame will i have to take it apart? i feel so dumb not knowing anything.

10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by navygf75 View Post
    ok got it! should i at least pack up clothes when it gets closer or will they repack that too? also the only furniture i have that will move is my daughters bed....its a metal bed frame will i have to take it apart? i feel so dumb not knowing anything.
    first don't feel dump- most of have been newbies too and asked the same questions - you have it easy since when I did my first move it was before internet!!

when I said they will repack I really mean they will repack everything-
    the only thing they won't pack is your luggage- and you will want to make sure you are packed and it is out of the house when they come or they WILL pack it!!

they will take the bed apart for you. all you have to do is supervise!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast