Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing Question-Eelo and Sally Wisdom appreciated!

1. .

Question Housing Question-Eelo and Sally Wisdom appreciated!

Advertisements
    Last edited by Ashwee; 01-05-2010 at 11:19 PM.

REMEMBER OPSEC AND PERSEC WHEN POSTING!!

2. .

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When my friend's DH was deployed, she was already in base housing. I don't think you can go in unless you have orders for you to be there.

Bumping for more help though.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Good question! I'll have to ask my DH tomorrow if he knows what's what but it SEEMS to me that if you are already living on base, and your spouse gets orders for an UNACCOMPANIED tour, that you would not be expected to leave base housing. If they had an issue with you living there, then they should put you on his orders for command sponsorship, KWIM?

Put it this way. If you had an apartment in town (off base) and were receiving BAH for it, you would still receive the BAH for it while he was overseas. I can't imagine it would be any different for housing.
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Found this http://www.armytimes.com/benefits/ho...sing_2007hbml/

Defense Department policy calls for relying on the civilian community first to house military families. But all service personnel with family members are eligible to apply to live in privatized housing or housing owned and controlled by the government.

Once assigned to quarters, service members are allowed to live in those quarters for the length of their tours or until the member no longer qualifies for family housing. If a member’s family moves away, for example, the member usually will be asked to move out as well.

If the member is sent on an involuntary unaccompanied overseas tour, the family may get permission to continue living in military housing in the continental U.S. during the tour.
  6. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    Good question! I'll have to ask my DH tomorrow if he knows what's what but it SEEMS to me that if you are already living on base, and your spouse gets orders for an UNACCOMPANIED tour, that you would not be expected to leave base housing. If they had an issue with you living there, then they should put you on his orders for command sponsorship, KWIM?

Put it this way. If you had an apartment in town (off base) and were receiving BAH for it, you would still receive the BAH for it while he was overseas. I can't imagine it would be any different for housing.
    That's what I thought. But I'm only staying with my sister as a long term visitor and would like to be able to get my own place while J is gone.
    The only reason I'm really pushing for housing is that J and my sister and BIL do not like the idea of me living alone out in town pregnant and then alone with a baby.
    Housing also said that since he had no orders to Belvoir or coming back to Belvoir I don't qualify.

But what is confusing me most is he's never had any orders anywhere. He's basically starting fresh. How does that work with any other person coming out of AIT or Re class when they have never been stationed somewhere and then get an 1 yr alone to Korea. I mean I know most of their families probably already have someplace to live but the apartment while he was deployed was all we've ever had besides living with family.

7. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    In your case then, it sounds correct. Since he has no orders for that base, you would not qualify for living on-post.

However, since he is doing a one-year unaccompanied, he should have his follow-on orders very shortly and you can move (on the government's dime) to the follow-on base for where he will be stationed after Korea and you will be eligible to live on base there.
  8. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    In your case then, it sounds correct. Since he has no orders for that base, you would not qualify for living on-post.

However, since he is doing a one-year unaccompanied, he should have his follow-on orders very shortly and you can move (on the government's dime) to the follow-on base for where he will be stationed after Korea and you will be eligible to live on base there.
    Ok gotcha.
    How far into the one year do they usually get those? I mean he hasn't left just yet. He should be leaving in Julyish. He finally got a welcome letter so he said paper orders are to follow soon. But until then he's stuck in GA doing pretty much nothing since class is now over So him and a bunch of guys are just waiting for their orders so they can hightail it out of there.
    But he's also going to try and put through a 90 day extension so that he can be here for the birth.

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I'm clueless on this one, sorry.

10. .
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    I'm clueless on this one, sorry.

I stumped eelo!

It's ok. Sally gave me some good info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast