Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do I start???

1. Happiness Is A Choice :D
    Happiness Is A Choice :D

Where do I start???

Advertisements

DH and I will be doing our first move at the end of August. We had originally decided to move ourselves because DH wanted to try to save money, but looking into it I dont know how we would end up making money. We have two cars, so we would need to rent a large enough moving van to put a hitch on to tow one of them...but the problem is we dont have very much stuff to move so according to our estimate weight, we would not receive enough money to cover the large moving van and gas, let alone gas for driving the other car there. Soooo.... long story short, we are finally leaning to letting the military move us but I have several questions. (DH is making an appointment with the TMO too, I have read we need to meet with them asap)

-If they move our stuff and we drive our cars, will we be reimbursed for gas or anything for our cars?

-He has 5 moving days, will they pay for hotel and food while we drive up there?

-If they do pay for stuff, do they give you an allowance before hand or do you save your receipts and then turn them in later? How long does it take to get reimbursed.

-Will the movers bring everything into the apartment or will we be responsible for loading and unloading?

-When is DLA paid? I found online that you can get it for your first move as long as you have dependents, is that true?

Ok, I think thats it. Maybe
    TIA
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They should unload your stuff into your apt, at least they did for DH and I. Only question I could answer, sorry
  3. Brown Eyes I'll Hold You Near
    Brown Eyes I'll Hold You Near

4. Happiness Is A Choice :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Steff Bo Beff View Post
    They should unload your stuff into your apt, at least they did for DH and I. Only question I could answer, sorry
    Thanks hun! Yet another reason not to move ourselves...I dont see how we would be able to carry our own stuff up flights of stairs
  5. Happiness Is A Choice :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt Shea View Post

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by csmithwick_819 View Post
    Thanks hun! Yet another reason not to move ourselves...I dont see how we would be able to carry our own stuff up flights of stairs
    They'll definitely do it then! I mean we live on the first floor and they did it all, so I would be shocked if they didn't do it for you!
  7. Happiness Is A Choice :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Steff Bo Beff View Post
    They'll definitely do it then! I mean we live on the first floor and they did it all, so I would be shocked if they didn't do it for you!
    Thanks again! One question down, 168761649 more to go
  8. Senior Member

You get per diem to drive your vehicles, for food and hotel. I am not sure how much it all is because we haven't done a move like that in 12+ years but I do remember them helping with all that. I have always let the military move us after doing a DITY move once. Yeah, screw taking furniture up by yourself. You should get all that info about per diem from the TMO. The movers have to pack, load, ship, unload and unpack for you and they are supposed to take the emptied boxes with them.
  9. Happiness Is A Choice :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    You get per diem to drive your vehicles, for food and hotel. I am not sure how much it all is because we haven't done a move like that in 12+ years but I do remember them helping with all that. I have always let the military move us after doing a DITY move once. Yeah, screw taking furniture up by yourself. You should get all that info about per diem from the TMO. The movers have to pack, load, ship, unload and unpack for you and they are supposed to take the emptied boxes with them.
    Thanks, thats great. Will we get per diem before or after we actually move?
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csmithwick_819 View Post

DH and I will be doing our first move at the end of August. We had originally decided to move ourselves because DH wanted to try to save money, but looking into it I dont know how we would end up making money. We have two cars, so we would need to rent a large enough moving van to put a hitch on to tow one of them...but the problem is we dont have very much stuff to move so according to our estimate weight, we would not receive enough money to cover the large moving van and gas, let alone gas for driving the other car there. Soooo.... long story short, we are finally leaning to letting the military move us but I have several questions. (DH is making an appointment with the TMO too, I have read we need to meet with them asap)

-If they move our stuff and we drive our cars, will we be reimbursed for gas or anything for our cars?

-He has 5 moving days, will they pay for hotel and food while we drive up there?

-If they do pay for stuff, do they give you an allowance before hand or do you save your receipts and then turn them in later? How long does it take to get reimbursed.

-Will the movers bring everything into the apartment or will we be responsible for loading and unloading?

-When is DLA paid? I found online that you can get it for your first move as long as you have dependents, is that true?

Ok, I think thats it. Maybe
    TIA
    1)you will get a flat rate of 24 cents a mile for each authorised mile for each vehicle. you will only need reciepts for TOLLS if they exceed 75.00

2) travel days are based on distance- and it is 350 miles per day -
    divide 350 by the number of authorised miles to get the travel days-
    Per diem is paid for each travel day= 109 for the member and 75% for you ( and more if you have other dependants)

3)if you coming from AIT or boot camp- you generally do not get any allowances in advance but this is branch specific so someone from your branch will know.

4)the movers will bring your stuff to your new home- unload it, unpack it and are required to put the furniture back together again.

5)yes- DLA will be 1887.00 and you may be able to ask for it advance but it is not generally paid in advance when coming from boot camp or AIT ( branch specific)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast