Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving and cell phones

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

moving and cell phones

Advertisements
    I need elp with a little problem. We have orders to go to Japan for two years. I thought I had read somewhere that the phone companies had to let military families that are moving out of thier contracts since we dont have control over leaving the country or when. When I asked AT&T they said only if you are deployed and they will only put it on hold for 7 months. Does anyone know anyting about any of this or have any advice?
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by laurak View Post
    I need elp with a little problem. We have orders to go to Japan for two years. I thought I had read somewhere that the phone companies had to let military families that are moving out of thier contracts since we dont have control over leaving the country or when. When I asked AT&T they said only if you are deployed and they will only put it on hold for 7 months. Does anyone know anyting about any of this or have any advice?

When you called, did you tell them you had orders in hand?!? With orders, you should be able to cancel your contract under the SCRA. If you're given issues, contact your base legal office for assistance.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You need to call and speak with someone else at AT&T. For a deployment they will do a military suspend for up to 18 months and with orders to PCS they will cancel and waive the early termination fees.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ok...we had verizion and since we have orders showing us moving for 2 years overseas and we had an year left on our contract, they had cancelled the service at no charge. I personally don't like AT&T because we had alot of problems with them.
  5. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    They may ask for a copy of your orders, but they are legally obligated to let you out of your contract. Talk to a supervisor when you call back.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  6. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    They may ask for a copy of your orders, but they are legally obligated to let you out of your contract. Talk to a supervisor when you call back.
    I have a military waiver on my account right now so that when I actually move to Italy, I can just call in and give them the date that my service ends (according to my flight ticket). I have T-Mobile though and absolutely love them.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you so much for all your help. I will call and speak to someone else
  8. Junior Member
    Now, does this only apply for overseas? We've just PCS'd from Arizona to Louisiana and our cell phones don't work here because there is no reception - eva! We are paying $70 a month for 2 cell phones we don't ever use!
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    Now, does this only apply for overseas? We've just PCS'd from Arizona to Louisiana and our cell phones don't work here because there is no reception - eva! We are paying $70 a month for 2 cell phones we don't ever use!

You CAN get out of your contract when you move to an area with no reception! How long have you been paying that since moving to LA?!?!?
  10. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post

You CAN get out of your contract when you move to an area with no reception! How long have you been paying that since moving to LA?!?!?
    About 2 months now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast