Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: moving and cell phones

  1. Old Newbie
    laurak's Avatar
    laurak is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    26
    #1

    moving and cell phones

    Advertisements
    I need elp with a little problem. We have orders to go to Japan for two years. I thought I had read somewhere that the phone companies had to let military families that are moving out of thier contracts since we dont have control over leaving the country or when. When I asked AT&T they said only if you are deployed and they will only put it on hold for 7 months. Does anyone know anyting about any of this or have any advice?
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Victoria's Avatar
    Victoria is offline
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,347
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by laurak View Post
    I need elp with a little problem. We have orders to go to Japan for two years. I thought I had read somewhere that the phone companies had to let military families that are moving out of thier contracts since we dont have control over leaving the country or when. When I asked AT&T they said only if you are deployed and they will only put it on hold for 7 months. Does anyone know anyting about any of this or have any advice?

    When you called, did you tell them you had orders in hand?!? With orders, you should be able to cancel your contract under the SCRA. If you're given issues, contact your base legal office for assistance.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    TaraB's Avatar
    TaraB is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,213
    #3
    You need to call and speak with someone else at AT&T. For a deployment they will do a military suspend for up to 18 months and with orders to PCS they will cancel and waive the early termination fees.
  4. Account Closed
    CptWife316's Avatar
    CptWife316 is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Osan AB, South Korea
    Posts
    939
    #4
    Ok...we had verizion and since we have orders showing us moving for 2 years overseas and we had an year left on our contract, they had cancelled the service at no charge. I personally don't like AT&T because we had alot of problems with them.
  5. The Decider
    Brianna Banana's Avatar
    Brianna Banana is offline
    The Decider
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    12,773
    Blog Entries
    1
    #5
    They may ask for a copy of your orders, but they are legally obligated to let you out of your contract. Talk to a supervisor when you call back.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

    My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!


    Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  6. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    my.hero's.mrs's Avatar
    my.hero's.mrs is offline
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas or bust!
    Posts
    12,304
    Blog Entries
    1
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
    They may ask for a copy of your orders, but they are legally obligated to let you out of your contract. Talk to a supervisor when you call back.
    I have a military waiver on my account right now so that when I actually move to Italy, I can just call in and give them the date that my service ends (according to my flight ticket). I have T-Mobile though and absolutely love them.
  7. Old Newbie
    laurak's Avatar
    laurak is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    26
    #7
    Thank you so much for all your help. I will call and speak to someone else
  8. Junior Member
    Tamzyn's Avatar
    Tamzyn is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Maxwell AFB
    Posts
    2,051
    #8
    Now, does this only apply for overseas? We've just PCS'd from Arizona to Louisiana and our cell phones don't work here because there is no reception - eva! We are paying $70 a month for 2 cell phones we don't ever use!
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Victoria's Avatar
    Victoria is offline
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,347
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    Now, does this only apply for overseas? We've just PCS'd from Arizona to Louisiana and our cell phones don't work here because there is no reception - eva! We are paying $70 a month for 2 cell phones we don't ever use!

    You CAN get out of your contract when you move to an area with no reception! How long have you been paying that since moving to LA?!?!?
  10. Junior Member
    Tamzyn's Avatar
    Tamzyn is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Maxwell AFB
    Posts
    2,051
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post

    You CAN get out of your contract when you move to an area with no reception! How long have you been paying that since moving to LA?!?!?
    About 2 months now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •