Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you that had the military move you

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

For those of you that had the military move you

Advertisements
    What exactly happened how did that process go for you?

We have a shit load of those plastic tubs that we have filled...Will we not be able to used those..will they have to box everything up??

I've only ever experienced the military packing my stuff up for when I lived in the barracks..and this is well very different!

Anything would be helpful!
  2. Senior Member
    They'll put everything in boxes or wardrobe boxes. The tubs they'll wrap and tape. That being said, don't assume that what you had in the tubs is all that is in them. They'll shove loose stuff in them without telling you. They have to itemize on a list the contents too, so be sure not to seal up the tubs...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by thejigsup View Post
    They'll put everything in boxes or wardrobe boxes. The tubs they'll wrap and tape. That being said, don't assume that what you had in the tubs is all that is in them. They'll shove loose stuff in them without telling you. They have to itemize on a list the contents too, so be sure not to seal up the tubs...
    So could I pack all my tubs up and record everything in them and just have them look at everything and it already be done? Or do they have to look through it all?
  4. Junior Member
    They will take everything out of the tubs and put it in their boxes. They say that they have to pack it so that way if something does happen to your stuff its insured. Other wise they are not liable if anything breaks.
    Heather
  5. Senior Member
    I really think it could go either way. I think they are supposed to look in them, but some don't care. Have you signed up via SmartMove on the web? When you do that they'll assign a company and you can ask the shipper. You won't really know until the packers come I think. When do you move?

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  6. Banned
    Banned
    They asked me what was in tubs and most of it was toys. The movers I had wouldn't pack up my tubs but they just dumped the contents in boxes. The only "Tub" they moved for me was the one with our important papers and it is really just a box with a drawer.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by thejigsup View Post
    I really think it could go either way. I think they are supposed to look in them, but some don't care. Have you signed up via SmartMove on the web? When you do that they'll assign a company and you can ask the shipper. You won't really know until the packers come I think. When do you move?
    Smartmove?? What is that? DH has to report July 10th...We were thinking about leaving around the 25th of June to head to Arizona...
  8. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    I think I got lucky with my move but they used my tubs... granted my move was an emergency move. But they said how convient sp? it was and just put my clothes in them when I requested that so I would not have to re-wash all my clothes.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  9. Banned
    Banned
    with the totes it is a hit or miss- some will repack all the totes- some will look in them to verify that they are packed correctly . but under no circumstances are they allowed to apply tape directly to the totes so don't let them- you will not be reimbursed for the tape damage.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The smaller totes, they just put in boxes with the items still in them. The larger ones they wrapped with paper and taped them as long as they weren't too heavy. We only had 1 tote that had to be repacked in a box, which was pretty good for us because we had 23 totes total.

We didn't have any problems with them packing things inside of the totes without our knowledge. They just opened them up and put on the inventory what they saw (such as Christmas decor, Halloween costumes, etc)

It's hit or miss really, some moving companies are overly thorough and some are laid back. Good luck with your move!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast