Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Leaving the nest.

1. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries

Question Leaving the nest.

Advertisements
    I know there is a similar saying when you leave your parent's home, but I can't remember it. Does the following happen to anyone else though?

I'm 25, going to be 26 in a couple of months, I'm married, I graduated college, worked in the field of my career for about 6 years, and have lived on my own for a year before I started dating DH. So, basically, to an outsider looking in, I pretty much have everything together and can probably do a great job living on my own.

But you know what? I've still been thinking about what my parents will say when they find out if we choose to get a dog in Italy. Or what they will say if I accidentally damage my car over there. Even what they will say if they find out we're going on a vacation and its not to their home in CA. So yes, I'm worried about "getting in trouble" essentially. I think it's silly, but does anyone else remember going through similar feelings or situations? What did/do you do?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It happened to me quite often when I first moved out here. Like I was scared to tell my mom I got cats because she hates cats and was nervous going to a midnight movie with DH. Eventually I just stopped thinking about what my mom would think. Although I was petrified to tell her I'm joining the Army.
  3. Senior Member
    YES! all the flippin time. i value my dads opinion a lot and many of my decisions have me thinking "whats dad gonna say...". its ridiculous but i think if you have a really close relationship with your parents youll always wonder what theyll think. prolly a good thing in the long run
    no one will know me now because my siggy is gone
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."-Unknown
    hes home
  4. Senior Member
    we have been married 9 years and my mother still doesn't think i can control my own life and gives her opinion ALL the time about what we should or should not be doing. my best suggestion to you is that you have to keep in mind you are living your life and the mistakes you make are YOURS to make. Crap is going to happen in everyone's life, but if you avoided all the risks, then you wouldn't really be living huh? I know it is hard, but you have to do what you guys want...
  5. Senior Member
    I've been married for almost 7 years and have 4 young children and still feel that way. But, I also value my parents opinion and have always worried about "disappointing" them in life. As I've gotten older, I've realized that though they may not always agree with my decisions (which is "getting in trouble" to me), they always love me, and it's become easier to deal with those feelings.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm 36 years old...and I still do I still wonder what will they think if I do this...or get this...etc..
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I still really worry about what my parents will say....mostly because my mom is pretty outspoken and I have a huge fear of disappointing them
  8. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    My dad is the outspoken one and my mom more or less lets me do what I want. My dad will voice his opinion from time to time and I listen and take what he says as his experience. He can only help me with his experiences, right?

Thank you all for your experiences and advice. You're right when you say that you have to just live your own life. We're not all perfect, after all, and the mistakes we make will be how we each will learn.