Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDY Exceptions??

Banned

Confused TDY Exceptions??

Advertisements
    In a few days I am moving to be with my husband during his TDY. Since it's only temporary, am I required to register my vehicle with the new state and get a new license when I'm there?? I thought I only had to if it was a permanent change of station. I'm so confused. Would an experienced military wife please give me a heads up on this relocation issue??
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    you never HAVE to register your vehicle or get a new liscense in the state. just if you need a new sticker to get on base.

i still have an illinois liscense, DH has a FL liscense and registered in FL
  3. Banned
    Banned
    it is dependant on each state- you need to google the state you will be moving too to see thier rules.
    Banned
    I haven't gotten a sticker for my car yet at any base. I'm guessing a the DL has to be for the state you're base is in? My friend told me I could go to the AF base here to get my sticker before I travel. I'm Navy...can I do that here and it work up there?
  5. Senior Member
    We have WA drivers licenses (our home state) but our cars have Kansas plates. 1 car we got here & the other, GA wouldnt send us the tags since it wasnt our home of record so we had to register it here in KS
  6. "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    You're only going to be there during a TDY?
    If you're only going to be there during a TDY I definitely don't think you have to worry about that.
    And even with a permanent station it just depends. I have texas drivers license, plates, and tags and DH has a tennesee drivers license and Virginia plates on his other car.
  7. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda. View Post
    you never HAVE to register your vehicle or get a new liscense in the state. just if you need a new sticker to get on base.

Sorry Amanda, incorrect.

As a spouse, you are not "military". Registration and license rules vary state to state. Please check with the DMV for the state to find out what is required.
  8. Senior Member
    What a experienced wife would do is not move during a TDY. Those are temp duty stations. Not worth packing up their whole lives for. Especially when the military won't pay for it.
  9. I love you & miss you Trev!
    I love you & miss you Trev!
    Blog Entries
    I'd move with him too if i were you
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda. View Post

This is incorrect. Many states do require you to get a new license. Usually within 30 days of your move.

OP, please check the DMV website of the state that you are moving to for their specific requirements.

Apparently I should have read a little farther down, Songton. Sorry for being your echo.
    Needs work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast