Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life on Base?! FILL THIS NEW ARMY WIFE IN....

1. Regular Member

Life on Base?! FILL THIS NEW ARMY WIFE IN....

Advertisements
    Ok, NEW Army wife here!

What can I expect when we get stationed and are able (if possible) to live on base?

I don't want to sound un-intelligent, but things like, the grocery stores, parks, gym(?!), library, internet access, restaurants?!

Also, I have heard about maintaining your yard and trash and vehicles in your driveway... that sounds like a BLAST when hubby is deployed

I hope I haven't offended anyone, I'm just nervous and kind of want a "feel" beforehand.

On the other hand, can I just say I can not WAIT TO MOVE!!!!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    everything will depend on where you go-
    the location of the base is relative to the city it is in-

unless you have a base in mind no one can really say what is close by.
    most bases have a commisary and exchange on them- some have resteraunts and some have fast food places- but these also vary by branch and base.

as for taking care of the yard- yes you are responsible- if there are trash cans - you have to get it to the curb and back-
    and you cannot have inoperable vehicles in the driveways.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If you live in housing there are usually playgrounds around every corner. There is a gym on post that is free for active duty and dependents, and some posts have a library but some you just go off post to the library in town. You can shop at the commissary (grocery) and the px or go off post to whatever grocery is in town. Internet access and cable is set up with local providers in town, housing should give you a list of who to call, you schedule and pay for that.

As far as the yard goes, we've had it both ways. In privatized housing they maintained it for us, but on other posts we had to do it ourselves. We've parked on the street and in the driveway.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Playgrounds are EVERYWHERE. I pretty much take the kids to a different one every other day. They have their faves though. We have 4 gyms here and they are pretty cool. Only one has free childcare. We only have to mow the backyard and no one checks. there are people here who have NEVER touched their yards. Apparently they like the jungle. resturants are a loose term here. There's a food court in the PX, Anthony's Pizza, Robin Hood subs, ice cream place with hot dogs and wraps, cinnabon, Manchu wok, charley's grilled subs, and taco johns. There's also popeyes, burger king, subway, starbucks, and kobito sushi. We live on a pretty big base. When you move in, you get a phone book, list of resturants in the area, coupons, list of internet, phone, and cable providers and a housing rule book with a trash schedule.
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Cassie* View Post
    Playgrounds are EVERYWHERE. I pretty much take the kids to a different one every other day. They have their faves though. We have 4 gyms here and they are pretty cool. Only one has free childcare. We only have to mow the backyard and no one checks. there are people here who have NEVER touched their yards. Apparently they like the jungle. resturants are a loose term here. There's a food court in the PX, Anthony's Pizza, Robin Hood subs, ice cream place with hot dogs and wraps, cinnabon, Manchu wok, charley's grilled subs, and taco johns. There's also popeyes, burger king, subway, starbucks, and kobito sushi. We live on a pretty big base. When you move in, you get a phone book, list of resturants in the area, coupons, list of internet, phone, and cable providers and a housing rule book with a trash schedule.
    Where are you stationed Cassie? THANKS for all the details
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberlyluvsmarc View Post
    Where are you stationed Cassie? THANKS for all the details
    Ft Lewis WA. I came from Alabama so the weather has been a shock. I'm used to seeing the sun and at least the 80s at this time of year.
  7. Regular Member
    Wow!! ME TOO!! I'm beginning to think you have to have ALL kinds of weather clothing!! I don't have much "winter clothes" cause the closest it ever gets here in Nashville is freezing... I hadn't even thought about that! THANKS hahaha
  8. Banned
    Banned
    You're welcome.
  9. Regular Member
    What about hair cuts and stuff like that? Do you go off base??
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberlyluvsmarc View Post
    What about hair cuts and stuff like that? Do you go off base??
    YES!!!! I never get my haircut here. It's too expensive and they don't have to have licenses here. I go to supercuts in lacey. I get a military discount and the lady is AWESOME. Scott gets his haircut on base but he's a guy. The kids have to go to a children's salon be/c no one on base will take them be/c they don't stay perfectly still. Hello!? they are 3 and 2. they fidget. So i pay twice as much to get their hair cut now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast