Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Have a question

1. Senior Member

Have a question

Advertisements
    I just want to know the rules for DF and I living together when I do move out there. We wont be married yet, he is an E5 (could be an E6 by the time I move there if he gets promoted), he will be stationed at FT. Riley.

TIA
    DF: i still think your too good to be with a guy like me but i am thankful everyday that i found you
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    if you are living in base housing, I know he has to declare that you live there. The good thing about that is once he does, you have a right to access that home. A friend of mine was in that situation.
    How that works and what it all entails.. dunno. If you dont live on base I think it isnt any differant then him having any other roommate?
  3. NDNatlGuardGF
    NDNatlGuardGF

If he's not married he most likely won't be allowed to get base housing. Unless things have drastically changed since I got out. As long as he lives off base it won't matter one bit.
  4. Senior Member
    We wont be living on base, we will be living off. Does he have to go through extra hoops because we arent married?
    DF: i still think your too good to be with a guy like me but i am thankful everyday that i found you
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    the girl I knew, they had a kiddo, so that might be how he was able to get base housing. As far as I know, no extra hoops. Since you arent married his BAH wont change at all.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    DB and I have been looking into this, and it all depends on where he's stationed and the amount of housing/ barracks room available on that base. Since your DF is an E-5 he could get permission to move off base and get at least partial BAH.

I'm not sure this is the case with ALL commands, but a couple guys in DB's unit have been able to move off base and get partial BAH when they hit a certain rank. I'd have your DF ask someone in his command.
  7. Senior Member
    He will get BAH without dependents. He just have to have command permission and then he shall be good to go

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by endangeredreams View Post
    the girl I knew, they had a kiddo, so that might be how he was able to get base housing. As far as I know, no extra hoops. Since you arent married his BAH wont change at all.
    That would be very odd. Not saying I don't believe you but I think that is odd. I have never heard of it before.

To have base housing you have to have a family. Now a single parent can live in the house if they have custody (even shared) of their child, but the other parent is not allowed unless the two parents are married.

OP....your fiance will just need to make sure he is allowed to live off base. Different bases have rules about when their troops can move out of the dorms/barracks. Once he has permission the military won't care if he has a roommate or not as long as he pays his bills.
  9. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrew4 View Post
    DB and I have been looking into this, and it all depends on where he's stationed and the amount of housing/ barracks room available on that base. Since your DF is an E-5 he could get permission to move off base and get at least partial BAH.

I'm not sure this is the case with ALL commands, but a couple guys in DB's unit have been able to move off base and get partial BAH when they hit a certain rank. I'd have your DF ask someone in his command.
    Thats how it was for my guy all of the E-5 still had to live in the barracks if they were not married because they were not full and once they were full enough then they could get permission to live off post. For his friend in another brigade here, he was able to live off when he was an E-4 since they were still building barracks to hold them all. So I would just wait and see if your guy is allowed when he returns.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    as an e5 he should be able to get permission to live off base-
    he will rent a apt or home same as he would if he was civilian-
    the BAH will be at the without dependant rate and he can have as many room mates as he wants.