Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're running out of time (I think) and NOBODY is helping!!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Duh We're running out of time (I think) and NOBODY is helping!!!

Advertisements
    My husband graduated AIT on April 30. He is home for home town recruiting, then 10 days of leave. He has to report for duty on May 24.

His recruiter is the least helpful person I have ever met.

I have read all the forums here and I am FREAKING out. I've been crying for DAYS now!!!! I am soo confused. Everything I have read says to go to your current transportation office and schedule an appointment, except, he is home for hometown recruiting, the nearest army installation is in New York, we are in New Hampshire. There is a national guard place in the next town over but they had nothing for us, we cannot even get a POA there!!!!

I have TONS of questions. I even called MilitaryOneSource but they directed us to contact the number listed on the orders. My husband will do that tomorrow.

I think my BIGGEST question is: he has to report for duty may 24, it says he is allowed to move his family at the governments expense one time. It says dependents are allowed to go with him. My question is, does that mean that we have to go with him on the 24th? Or can we go at a later date and still have the government move us?

We're already on the housing waiting list, which I think it good considering some of what I have read in these forums (200 long list.. woah) we are 12 of 13 for Fort Bragg 4 bedroom housing.

Also, I read on some sites that we would get the DLA even though this is our first PCS since he is married and we have children, though I have read on other sites that we won't get it.

We also read that to contact the local finance office for all of the allowances. But there is none around here. I'm guessing he should have done this at Fort Jackson while he was at AIT, but nobody told us this.

Everytime I ask the recruiter a question he gives me mixed messages and he is not helpful at all.

Any help, information, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Penny
  2. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Why have you not called the base you will be PCSing to?
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    We had no idea we were even supposed to do that. So I guess we will call there tomorrow as well....
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i know that we have set everything up at this post before we PCS to our next post. i would call the transportation office at ft.jackson and you could possibly get the info and fax them the paper work they need to get you moved.
  5. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by notjustamama View Post
    We had no idea we were even supposed to do that. So I guess we will call there tomorrow as well....
    I'm not saying that you have to, I'm just curious as to why you wouldn't call someone who would know the answer to your questions? You're obviously getting nowhere with the recruiter... so wouldn't make sense to call the people who deal with this stuff on a daily basis?
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynee88 View Post
    I'm not saying that you have to, I'm just curious as to why you wouldn't call someone who would know the answer to your questions? You're obviously getting nowhere with the recruiter... so wouldn't make sense to call the people who deal with this stuff on a daily basis?
    and also, because its so close to you moving, the trasnportaton office might not have an opening availiable to move you. you might have to do it yourself (which means you pack everything weigh it and they pay you back) thats why they always tell you, like the day you get your orders to get put on the housing list, and get ahold of transportation because they get busy fast.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I wonder if they'll still move us if the kids and I go down after he does? He'll have to make alot of phone calls tomorrow apparently!!!
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notjustamama View Post
    I wonder if they'll still move us if the kids and I go down after he does? He'll have to make alot of phone calls tomorrow apparently!!!
    yes they will move you after he gets there-

all of this should hav been taken care of in AIT-

but since it was not here is what you have to do-

he needs to call his gaining commands transportation office- they will tell him how he can set up the move-

you will not get any allowances for the move ahead of time- unless he goes before you and applies to the allowances- it will take 2-4 weeks for it to get to your bank account.

if he goes before you understand that they will not let him come help you move- you will have to do everything yourself including driving yourself amnd your kids to the new duty station.

you will have TLE - a max of 10 days at the old or new duty station- or combined- but anything over that you will pay for out of pocket 9 while waiting for a housing unit to become available.

for the DLA yes you will get it but not until you get to the new duty station and apply for it- it will be 1887 even if you move into housing.
  9. Senior Member
    There isn't many people ahead of you on the list. My DH went ahead set up a DITY move (do it yourself move). He received the 60% upi front for our DITY move and the DLA. It was pretty easy, but he went ahead of us and started all the paperwork himself.
    My best friend that moved from PR had to set up her TMO move while her husband was in AIT (they ask the soldiers while in AIT if you are gonna move yourself or have TMO move you?) It took 3 months for her to get her HHG.

Have you thought about what kinda move you would like to do?
  10. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Ummm when he left AIT he should have went through a series of briefings. He was supposed to set up the Household goods pickup from there as well as do all the proper classes so you can get your travel allowances .

Are you even on his orders?

Yes you will get DLA even if this is your 1st PCS .

Basically everytime you PCS the Army you choose to do a DITY move.

Go to www.military.com and read the relocation forums it should help you.

PM me if you have any other questions and I will try to help you.

What do your husbands orders say and please ask him did he go through any outprocessing briefings at AIT?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast