Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii, here we come!

1. Regular Member

Shock Hawaii, here we come!

Advertisements
    We received our orders to move to Kaneohe Bay in September. At first I was completely excited, and then I checked the calendar Less than five months!!!! This is my first move with the husband and I have no idea what to expect. My DH acts like we will just *poof* wake up in Hawaii one day and all will be well. I have to control myself not to pack yet. HA!

Can anyone give me info about getting moved by USMC, and maybe Hawaii in general? I have heard there are bad places not to live there. We are hoping to live off base, but if it means we have to live next to a meth lab, er, I'll stick to base!!!

Its just the two of us (for now- I am putting off TTC until we get settled) and my Husband is an E-4. Thanks so much!!! I am excited to have found this forum for the advice!!!!
  2. NDNatlGuardGF
    NDNatlGuardGF

I lived in Hawaii for 3 years, and let me tell you, the Marines have some new housing that is NICE! In the area you're in you should be able to find a couple nice places off base if thats what you want, but they won't be as big as if you were on base. I'd advise at least lookig into base housing to see what its like and if they'd take all his BAH or just part of it. As far as living off base goes, that area is a bit nicer than other areas on the island. My advice would be the same as was given to me when I was looking for an apt...drive by there during the day and take a look at the apartment, get a tour, everything, then drive by after dark and see if you're still comfortable with the area. Some aren't bad in the daylight but are very poorly light, making it a bit unsafe, after dark.
  3. Regular Member
    well, we will have to check it out!! I have no idea what to do with myself. we need to get our cats ready to move (I printed out the FOUR page checklist) and that is making me a little crazy. Also, about moving our stuff. We will get movers and I have read on here that we don't pack anything which seems confusing to me. So do I just plan for when they are going to be packing us to have things in piles? (like pots/pans one pile, clothes in one pile, my shoes in a very very big pile ) That's something I didn't understand either.......

Thanks! I'm terribly nervous about this move. DH is lat moving and will be in A school (at 29 Palms) for the 3 months before we leave, so its going to be tricky.
  4. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Come visit us in the OCONUS forum!! There are a bunch of Hawaii peeps there!!

The area around Kaneohe is the pretty much the nicest on the island. The towns near Kaneohe are Kailua, Lanikai and Kaneohe. Did you look up to see how much BAH is for E4? Plus you get COLA.

The new jr E housing on K-bay is NICE!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I am on kbay and will be here until august......the new e5 and below housing is really nice. they are in the middle of moving pretty much everyone around though and reestablishing neighborhoods on base, but overall the e5 and below ranks aren't being affected as much with this.

PM me if you have base specific questions......we love the base. it is on a great side of the island........
  6. Junior Member
    What about off base? We may be sent there too, looking lik it right now, and we want off post housing if possible. Small's not a problem; it's just the two of us, for now. Any nice places near Shafter that won't eat up all of the BAH with utilities and rent?
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherincali View Post
    well, we will have to check it out!! I have no idea what to do with myself. we need to get our cats ready to move (I printed out the FOUR page checklist) and that is making me a little crazy. Also, about moving our stuff. We will get movers and I have read on here that we don't pack anything which seems confusing to me. So do I just plan for when they are going to be packing us to have things in piles? (like pots/pans one pile, clothes in one pile, my shoes in a very very big pile ) That's something I didn't understand either.......

Thanks! I'm terribly nervous about this move. DH is lat moving and will be in A school (at 29 Palms) for the 3 months before we leave, so its going to be tricky.

for the movers have everything in it's place-
    pots in the cabinet, shoes in the closet ect. let them take the stuff out and pack it.

I have a great link that I will post later when I am at home that has a bunch of info on moving.

you will also need to get command approval and do medical and dental screenings ( start this asap)

also there is something called an express shipment AKA unaccompanied baggage) that you can send ahead of time- let me know if you want into for that.

for the pets- the Quarentine in 6 months for the direct release- your going to be short- you need to start this ASAP and have a back up plan incase you cannot get them direct released.

the military will pay to ship one car and for your flights-
    but will not pay to get the pets there or pay for boarding them-

there is a quarintine reimbursement of 550 dollars per PCS not per pet.

you will also be entitled to 5 days TLE and up to 60 days TLA.

oh and you will also be entitled to at least 1887 for DLA.

if you need help with any of the stuff I mentioned please let me know.
  8. The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    for the movers have everything in it's place-
    pots in the cabinet, shoes in the closet ect. let them take the stuff out and pack it.

I have a great link that I will post later when I am at home that has a bunch of info on moving.

you will also need to get command approval and do medical and dental screenings ( start this asap)

also there is something called an express shipment AKA unaccompanied baggage) that you can send ahead of time- let me know if you want into for that.

for the pets- the Quarentine in 6 months for the direct release- your going to be short- you need to start this ASAP and have a back up plan incase you cannot get them direct released.

the military will pay to ship one car and for your flights-
    but will not pay to get the pets there or pay for boarding them-

there is a quarintine reimbursement of 550 dollars per PCS not per pet.

you will also be entitled to 5 days TLE and up to 60 days TLA.

oh and you will also be entitled to at least 1887 for DLA.

if you need help with any of the stuff I mentioned please let me know.

for the bold. it's 120 days once she gets the blood titer testing [and thats 120 days from the day the lab down south rec'd the blood]. so to the OP, get an appt with your vet ASAP and get the blood titer done. hawaii will NOT allow your cats DR unless the 120 days is finished.
    ~Ashley

9. The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    What about off base? We may be sent there too, looking lik it right now, and we want off post housing if possible. Small's not a problem; it's just the two of us, for now. Any nice places near Shafter that won't eat up all of the BAH with utilities and rent?
    good luck with that. if living off post, you'll be looking at spending almost ALL of your BAH with rent/utilities...when DF and i were still together, i was looking at apartments off post [because he's at ft shafter] but with it just being the two of us, everything cost just as much as his bah. so i told him post housing was best...

you can look on craigslist and such.
    ~Ashley

10. NDNatlGuardGF
    NDNatlGuardGF

If you're wondering about housing costs, try checking out honouluadvertiser.com. That's their newspaper and if you go to the classified section you can see what some of the costs are. Unfortunately you can't tell what the area is like so just keep that in mind.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast