Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Germany questions

1. Incubating...
    Incubating...

Germany questions

Advertisements
    So DH is in a briefing now and filling out paperwork because after AIT we are going to Germany. Can anyone tell me what to expect in this whole process? He still has several months of AIT so I know I have a good 8-9 months before I actually go over, but do I need to go apply for a passport? What does the medical screening involve? What about the pets, do I need to have anything special done for them?\

Any tips or insight on what to expect during this process would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
  2. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Yes apply for a passport.

The medical screening is nothing bad. When I went for my doctors apt, all the doctor did was ask me a few questions, signed the paperwork and I was done. But I know a few of my friends said their doctors made them do a blood test, urine test..everything.

I'm not too sure on the pets I can't help you there. There are a lot of girls on the site who can help you a lot more than I can with these questions! And Congrats on Germany, you'll love it here!

3. Incubating...
    Incubating...
    Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    Yes apply for a passport.

The medical screening is nothing bad. When I went for my doctors apt, all the doctor did was ask me a few questions, signed the paperwork and I was done. But I know a few of my friends said their doctors made them do a blood test, urine test..everything.

I'm not too sure on the pets I can't help you there. There are a lot of girls on the site who can help you a lot more than I can with these questions! And Congrats on Germany, you'll love it here!
    I see you are in Vilseck, that is where we are going! So looks like I will be right in your area. Anything specific that you could tell me about Vilseck?
  4. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Anything you wanna know specifically just PM me! I'll try to help the best I can.

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    ha man carla you are lucky everyone knew is going to vilsek...vogelweh is like on the out for more married people coming over! Also, swtkty217 if you go to the OCONUS page you will find alot of threads on Germany and such! Welcome Germany is alot like the states temp. wise and really great!
  6. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    I'm so lucky. I want new friends damn it!

7. Incubating...
    Incubating...
    Quote Originally Posted by luv4myairman View Post
    ha man carla you are lucky everyone knew is going to vilsek...vogelweh is like on the out for more married people coming over! Also, swtkty217 if you go to the OCONUS page you will find alot of threads on Germany and such! Welcome Germany is alot like the states temp. wise and really great!
    OCONUS page?? Where is this thing you speak of? LOL
  8. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by swtkty217 View Post
    OCONUS page?? Where is this thing you speak of? LOL
    She's probably thinking of the OCONUS SOS group.

http://militarysos.com/forum/group.php?groupid=185

I've sent you an invite to join so you can see the posts.

As far as what to expect, you're lucky you'll have plenty of time.

Both you and your DH should apply for tourist passports if you intend to travel at all while overseas.

Additionally, you need to apply for a no-fee passport through the closest active duty military base. Simply call and ask for the passport office, they'll tell you what you need to apply. If they try and tell you you need orders, it isn't true. There is a regulation that says they can't delay it because of a lack of hard copy orders. (if you need it because they give you problems, contact myself or My.Hero's.Mrs and we can give it to you) It takes 6-8 weeks to process and you will need it to fly with your DH to Germany. This passport will include your sofa stamp that gives you the legal right to reside in Germany for the duration of your husband's orders.

Before doing that, you need to have an EFMP screening done for Vilseck. you'll need to contact your closest Army EFMP office and ask them about having a screening done. They can tell you how they handle it. In some cases you can do the screening by phone if they have your medical records on hand or can make you an appointment for a screening. They should scan and send the document (DA 5888 and possibly the DD 2792) to the main office in Heidelberg for review which will pass it on to Vilseck. Your DH will get a confirmation e-mail that you are medically cleared for Germany.

You should start cleaning out anything you don't want to take with you now. You'll have the option to place items in NTS (non-temporary storage) for the duration of your stay in Germany. I suggest including any large items or fragile keepsake items that you don't normally display.

You'll be authorized two other shipments. UB (unaccompanied baggage) and HHG (Houshold Goods). The UB shipment is small, usually around 850 lbs for two people. This is for your items you'll need sooner like dishes, pots and pans, etc. This shipment should be sent about 30 days prior to departure, if at all possible, to ensure it reaches Germany around the same time you do. Your HHG shipment will be your general items and should be shipped around the time of your departure.

As soon as you have orders with both the soldier's and dependants names on them you should submit them to the Vilseck/Grafenwoehr housing office to be placed on the waitlist for housing.

If you plan on taking a car, you'll need to make arrangements for that as well. You can ship one POV per household on the government's dime. If that vehicle has a lien against it, you will need a lienholder's letter in order to ship it. You should contact your local VPC to find out EXACTLY what documents you need to ship the vehicle.

Remember that your name needs to be on your husband's orders to arrange the shipments of the HHG, UB, and to get plane tickets for both of you. Also remember you'll need a POA for them to allow you to make any of these arrangements.

If you have any problems or questions, send me a PM or post in the group. Congrats on your orders to Germany.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  9. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    I'm so lucky. I want new friends damn it!
    Nooooooo! I want new friends too. How come you're getting everyone to come to you? Baumholder is so much better than Vilseck, they should come here.

PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.