Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: moving to s.korea

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

moving to s.korea

Advertisements
    and im really confused and scared. me and DF are getting married next week to get paper work going. he's told me already that there is a waiting list for on base housing and that it could be 2 months to a long time until i could move which i totally understand and was expecting. im just nervous because i live in NY and ive never been farther away than kentucky! lol
    1. would it be better to live off base and not wait or just wait for military housing?
    2. what should i bring and how much?
    3. also how do you adjust to a new country and settings?

also DF has also mentioned that he will be stationed at camp casey but i wil have to live elsewhere but there are other girls who are able to go? if DF just confused or is this true?
    help please?
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to my new home country!!

If he's at Camp Casey, I believe that you will be living at Yongsan. Which means living in Seoul, the big city.

I live off base at Osan and I love it. There are some advantages to living on base here (huge floor plans, central air conditioning) but I am of the opinion that if I live in a country, I want to EXPERIENCE it.

I have had no problems or issues adjusting to life in Korea but I had also visited here once before so felt comfortable coming here to live. I think the biggest thing that makes it so easy for me is that I came here expecting it to be completely different from the United States, foreign and exotic. I am not disappointed in that and I am able to see all the similarities to the US that exist.

I think that many other people who come here and don't like it, come expecting it to be like the States and they are disappointed to notice the differences.

As far as what you should bring, your DH's orders will specify the amount of household goods that are approved. Will you be coming command sponsored or non-command sponsored? If NCS, you most likely will not get any consideration for living on base.

Apartments in Korea tend to be at least partially furnished with a bed, table and chairs, sofa and desk. Depending on how much of Korea you want to take back with you when you return to the States will determine how much furnishings you should bring. We have plans to purchase some more big ticket furniture items that are uniquely Korean but those purchases are on hold until we decide we are ready to return to the States as our little house is pretty much out of room! LOL!!

I will be delighted to help you with any questions or concerns that you have.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    Welcome to my new home country!!

If he's at Camp Casey, I believe that you will be living at Yongsan. Which means living in Seoul, the big city.

I live off base at Osan and I love it. There are some advantages to living on base here (huge floor plans, central air conditioning) but I am of the opinion that if I live in a country, I want to EXPERIENCE it.

I have had no problems or issues adjusting to life in Korea but I had also visited here once before so felt comfortable coming here to live. I think the biggest thing that makes it so easy for me is that I came here expecting it to be completely different from the United States, foreign and exotic. I am not disappointed in that and I am able to see all the similarities to the US that exist.

I think that many other people who come here and don't like it, come expecting it to be like the States and they are disappointed to notice the differences.

As far as what you should bring, your DH's orders will specify the amount of household goods that are approved. Will you be coming command sponsored or non-command sponsored? If NCS, you most likely will not get any consideration for living on base.

Apartments in Korea tend to be at least partially furnished with a bed, table and chairs, sofa and desk. Depending on how much of Korea you want to take back with you when you return to the States will determine how much furnishings you should bring. We have plans to purchase some more big ticket furniture items that are uniquely Korean but those purchases are on hold until we decide we are ready to return to the States as our little house is pretty much out of room! LOL!!

I will be delighted to help you with any questions or concerns that you have.
    You can live off post at Camp Casey. DH was stationed there last year and had a couple friends who's wives lived there. I didn't live there but I visited a couple times and I loved it. Korea is going to be on my dream sheet when I join.

Manchu Ma'am is currently living in Dongducheon (where Camp Casey is) with her husband. If she doesn't see this thread shot her a PM.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    thanks ladies! im deffinatly into experiancing the culture and i hope its not too much like the states. im really excited to go. im not sure if we're going to be able to get a command sponorship or not
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Well I am looking forward to meeting you when you are here!!
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am SO jealous
  7. Senior Member

I am in Korea, too. I am in Yongsan. If your df goes to Casey you can live off post near there but if you do become command sponsored after you get married and want on post housing then it has to be here in Seoul. You can live off post in Seoul, too it's expensive but doable. Also if you don't get CS approved that does not mean you can't come here, just means you come here on your own dime but you still get base privileges like shopping at the commy, P/X and have medical care but on a space available basis and you still get SOFA status and OHA to live off post. You just can't live on post non command sponsored.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Question Giving birth in Korea

Hey guys, I looked around and didn't really find a good place to ask this question except here since you all were discussing Korea. My husband will be leaving June 1 for Osan AB. He is Air Force E-6 and we have submitted our command sponsorship request last week. (we took a while to get it done) and I just hope we will hear back before June. They said it takes about 2 weeks to hear something. We were told that there were going to be 1000 openings between Dec 09 and June 10 for CS. We just don't know if we waited to long to submit our package. Anyway, we will still be going even if we don't get approved.

My MAIN question though, is that I just found out that I am pregnant yesterday, so that means I will be delivering the baby in Korea. My question is that if we don't get CS, does that mean the Air Force (government) won't pay for my birth? And will I have to deliver off base like at a korean hospital? I've heard horror stories about births in Korea.