Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Furniture??

1. Senior Member

Furniture??

Advertisements
    We are a younger couple who has lived with family before my husband joined the USMC. We found out he classes up pretty soon in his MOS- shortly after he gets orders to where we will be moved and so on. As excited as i am for that, its not enough time to save up--- we dont have much furniture @ all actually- no beds and stuff, what are we supposed to do? we will most likely live on base. Any advice for people who have been through this?? Thank you.
  2. Senior Member
    Sometimes on base they have little shops with furniture for really cheap or maybe try freecycle. We've gotten a ton of stuff on there and and they were all in pretty good if not great condition and it was free.
    Mommy's Little Monkey Mommy's Little Princess
  3. Junior Member
    what's freecycle?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    what's freecycle?
    http://www.freecycle.org/

It's a place where people post stuff they don't need anymore or people will place ads on things they need or want. You usually go and pick it up and it can be anything from food to furniture. It's awesome and I it.
    Mommy's Little Monkey Mommy's Little Princess
  5. Senior Member
    Well you will be getting some money for moving (especially if you move everything yourself and not have movers do it) and while it won't furnish your whole house, it can get some basics such as a couch and a couple beds. But while you are waiting for the money most bases have loan lockers where when you get to a new base and get into housing you can borrow items (basics like stuff eat and drink and to make your food and than they have like foam "mattresses" for sleeping on.

IF you don't have bills and can afford it, you can consider getting a furniture store credit card (but don't go in deep where you can't afford to pay the bill) to buy some basic pieces of furniture.

Also look to see if there is a thrift store on base. Stuff might be used but rent a rug doctor and clean everything and all is good.
  6. Senior Member
    I remember our first apartment, VERY bare, only a bed and no other furniture really. You don't have to get everything all at once, get the stuff you really need when you have the money or try going to the loan locker on base or search freecycle and craigslist! I know it was over a year before we got a living room set and a couple more before we got a dining room set, that's just how it goes. You'll slowly start adding to your house and before you know it you'll have too much junk lol! Good luck