Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do I do next??

1. For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    Blog Entries

Confused what do I do next??

Advertisements
    I have no idea what I am supposed to do now that we have our orders!! We have all of our stuff in storage because I am living with my mom untill my DH is done with everything.
    Do they just pick up our stuff from storage and move it for us?
    What about our car?
    Do I have to set all this up or does DH do it? 9i dont have power of attorney)
    I know that getting a sponser is voluntary, but should we fill out that form to do so?
    Im so overwealmed...please please help!!

DH-"Your are so much more than my wife to me. You are my best friend, my map when I am lost, my light when I am in the dark, and you are the keeper of my heart. We are in every moment together, even if it is for a split second. I love you with all my heart and I will always love you more and more every day."
  2. Junior Member
    I'm probably not much help because I'm pretty new to it too, but you do have to have the POA to set it up. Otherwise, your DH will have to do it. If he doesn't have time to do it he can get you a poa in a few hours and send it to you over email as a scan on the base.
  3. Senior Member
    Since you have no POA your husband will have to do it all. Unless he gets that poa for you. Are you near a base? If so you should go into the TMO (the people that deal with setting up moves and such) and ask them what needs to be done. If you don't have one close your DH will need to do it all.
  4. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    I spoke with my DH and he said that your DH needs to tell whomever is in charge of him that he needs to go to JAG because he needs to get a POA for you. They should be able to excuse him from class for a couple hours to go do it.

You'll need to talk to transportation, known as JPPSO at most Army bases about the move. You'll need to take the POA your DH gets you and go to one of the move briefings where they will help you fill out your transportation request. Depending on what rank your DH is you will be limited to a certain weight amount.

I'm not sure where you started out when your DH went in but your stuff can only be picked up from certain locations based on the zip code where your BAH is being paid. If your stuff is in storage 4 hours away from the zip code your BAH is at they won't pick it up. If it's in the same zip code it should be fine. They will pick it up directly from the storage unit.

As far as the car, usually you have to drive it to the new location unless you are going OCONUS. You get mileage and reimbursement for your hotels once you arrive at Ft Drum. It takes a few weeks to get the pay so be prepared to pay everything out of pocket.

As far as getting a sponsor We've always filled out the form and have never gotten one. We just plan on doing it on our own now.

If you don't get a POA your DH will have to set everything up. Let me know if you have any questions.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    I spoke with my DH and he said that your DH needs to tell whomever is in charge of him that he needs to go to JAG because he needs to get a POA for you. They should be able to excuse him from class for a couple hours to go do it.

You'll need to talk to transportation, known as JPPSO at most Army bases about the move. You'll need to take the POA your DH gets you and go to one of the move briefings where they will help you fill out your transportation request. Depending on what rank your DH is you will be limited to a certain weight amount.

I'm not sure where you started out when your DH went in but your stuff can only be picked up from certain locations based on the zip code where your BAH is being paid. If your stuff is in storage 4 hours away from the zip code your BAH is at they won't pick it up. If it's in the same zip code it should be fine. They will pick it up directly from the storage unit.

As far as the car, usually you have to drive it to the new location unless you are going OCONUS. You get mileage and reimbursement for your hotels once you arrive at Ft Drum. It takes a few weeks to get the pay so be prepared to pay everything out of pocket.

As far as getting a sponsor We've always filled out the form and have never gotten one. We just plan on doing it on our own now.

If you don't get a POA your DH will have to set everything up. Let me know if you have any questions.
    DITTO!!!
  6. For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post

Okay, let me see if I can break this down. The storage unit is about 15 min from our old address, the address he signed papers under. My moms house where I currently live is 30 min from our old address, but just under 15 min from the storage unit. DO you think they would still pick up our furniture there?

DH-"Your are so much more than my wife to me. You are my best friend, my map when I am lost, my light when I am in the dark, and you are the keeper of my heart. We are in every moment together, even if it is for a split second. I love you with all my heart and I will always love you more and more every day."
  7. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    It's all about the mileage and zip code, not about the amount of time to a location. My guess would be that they will, but you'll have to contact transportation and give them the storage address. If everything you own is there and you're not planning on having them come to your mom's house, it's probably fine.

You'll need the address of the storage facility, name of the storage facility and your unit number to fill out the shipment paperwork at JPPSO, just FYI.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  8. Junior Member
    Oh and about the storage unit--you have to take the stuff out of it so they can load it unless the movers (not the branch office) directly agree to go in there and remove the stuff. It's liability issues, and it's on the contract when you sign. Try to have some man power there on moving day in case they won't go in the unit. That's what we're doing. They may not tell you that since you sign off on it, just read everything carefully. It's easy to miss.
  9. I'm a dirty martini! ;)
    I'm a dirty martini! ;)
    I have a question about this.... I heard that you can't pack your stuff...that they want to see the items being packed for liability reasons. Is this true? DH and I will be moving sometime in the fall and I just want to be prepared for when they come. Any idea?!
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveJuice View Post
    I have a question about this.... I heard that you can't pack your stuff...that they want to see the items being packed for liability reasons. Is this true? DH and I will be moving sometime in the fall and I just want to be prepared for when they come. Any idea?!
    this is true- sorta- they are "suppose" to pack everything- thier way in thier own boxes.
    but some companies will allow for some pre-packed stuff. but in most cases if you pack it and it breaks it will not be covered by the military insurance.
    it is a risk you take by pre-packing stuff.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast