Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheapo storage units

1. Junior Member

cheapo storage units

Advertisements
    Anyone know of cheapo storage units? We have too much stuff but those things are so frieking expensive!
  2. Senior Member
    They are pretty cheap after holidays... thats about the only time you'll get them for a good price. I think wal mart is the cheapest I've found them.

Wait, are you talking about the bins? Or like public storage?
  3. Junior Member
    like public storage
  4. Senior Member
    I paid 75 dollars a month for a 10x10 and 150 for a 10x20. Honestly that was the best price I found.
  5. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by SrahsCat View Post
    I paid 75 dollars a month for a 10x10 and 150 for a 10x20. Honestly that was the best price I found.
    That's about what I paid. Mine was heated storage with an elevator to get to our unit on the second floor. I ended up with two units because it was cheaper than getting a large one.

If you're concerned about the expense, maybe you're better off selling items and saving the money to repurchase them later. Especially if they'll be in storage for the long term.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    being a part of the military you learn to live some what minimalistic.

if it doesn't get used at least 2 times a yr it goes away.

since we can only move a small amount of weight each time we move it makes no sense paying for the overages when if you go over.

now that is not saying that I don't have unused family heirlooms - I do- but they are in storage for free in my dads storage closet in MI.
    and we do not try to move them ( he has moved and has moved them from one house to another)
    they will stay there until my dh retires in 5 yrs.

really reconsider what you have in storage and decide if it is worth spending at least 900 dollars a yr...
  7. Senior Member
    I totally agree with you! At the time I was not married and moving out of the country quickly so I had no choice. Then life took over and I just didn't take the time to go through stuff. When you add it up I paid basically 3000 dollars and then some to store stuff for 3 years!

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I was storing a lot of junk! Then we paid even more money to move all that junk when I got married! Some of it I still have and I'm glad I stored but there is so much that wasn't worth storing that I'm now getting rid of.

Try to get rid of some stuff first. Once it goes in storage its too easy to forget it is there and pay tons of money to store stuff you will never use!
  8. Junior Member
    Heehee I know. I just threw away probably two hundred pounds of junk that was just sitting there! But I'm still afraid we'll have too much stuff to fit into our little 600 ft apartment. Any ideas for saving space? I've got it down to our bedroom set (bed frame, two dressers, two nightstands, and a cedar chest), spacesaver for the bathroom, but still some junk! I'm putting a lot of it into my parent's attic, but still. Suggestions?
  9. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    If the bedroom set won't fit in your new place, why are you keeping it? I would sell it. They don't move well with the military, they take up a lot of weight and a lot of room.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    for stuff use baskets, under the bed storage containers,

do not keep books, magaizines catalogs, these add alot of weight and use up space

we lived in a 1200 Sq ft house and had 10,000 lbs of stuff!

for christmas and holiday stuff I put everything in rummermate totes ( red and green ones for xmas, orange and black for holloween and fall- clear ones for easter, summer and 4th of july)
    for family photos I got rid of all the albums and put them in special photo boxes

for DVD's I also got covered boxes,

for CD's we put everything in the Itunes library and got rid of all the discs.

I have a few appliances I use alot- the george, my hand mixer, the blender, the toaster oven the microwave- everything else I hardly used so I got rid of them ( Oh I do have my Keurig LOL)

go to www.thecontainerstore.com for awesome storage ideas- no you do not have to buy stuff from there- but it is great to see how they use the containers for storing so much stuff!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast